The Gospel According to Jim

raftman

raftman

Really fantastic read about fishing with Jim Harrison. David James Duncan even makes an appearance. Great insight and desciption.

The Gospel According to Jim

"...don't let your life become the sloppy leftovers of your work."

I like that quote. I live my life with that in mind, now that it's put to words.

I like that quote. I live my life with that in mind

Me too, Brookiechaser. I especially dig the image connected to that statement - the abandoned, dilapidated ranch house they drove by that spurred this line from Jim Harrison. Man, this makes me want to go to Livingston, MT to fish and hopefully run into David and Jim. Sounds like a great place.

I agree on all accounts, raftman. Montana is on my list of places to see before I die.

I enjoyed the article, thanks for sharing it.

raftman wrote:

"...don't let your life become the sloppy leftovers of your work."

That's advice on what NOT to do.

But what is the advice on what to do?

What is a good path to follow, to both earn a living, and find enjoyment, fulfillment, etc.?

Great article and Harrison is one of the best. I've enjoyed his novels, short stories and especially his poems.

"...what to do?"
Everyone has to find that for themselves I guess. No formula.
I think in Harrisons case he was certainly talented and probably got lucky and met the right people early on and was able to have the freedom to write the things he wanted....still hard work but must be satisfying I would imagine. Although you would have to ask him.

What is a good path to follow, to both earn a living, and find enjoyment, fulfillment, etc.?

Troutbert, these are really good questions, ones that I think Harrison compels you to ask yourself through that line.

I think the answer is different for everyone. For me, it's more of a process than an answer - a continuous questioning and reflecting of life, contentment, etc. I like work, I thrive off of having a job to do and doing that job. However, I've found that I need fulfilling work, work that doesn't leave me high and dry when I'm done, work that in some way gives back to me on some level. Good work. I've had plenty of shitty jobs, and in the end, they left me feeling shitty. At the end of those days, my life was simply the sloppy leftovers of whatever motions I was going through. Life became part of the work that I was living.

On the other hand, I've had and currently have jobs that, while may be very demanding on some levels, are "good" in my eyes (and that definition of "good" differs with each person). By doing work that is "good" in my eyes, I find that my life embraces the work instead of becoming the bystander of it. Work becomes a part of the life that I am living and not the other way around.

But like I said, the "solution", if there really is one, is an individual finding whereas the problem is a universal one that we all have to face at some point. This is what a great writer does, presents us with a universal problem tied to an image that we all can relate to (a house in disrepair, slowly falling back into the earth), and lets us figure out the "answer" in our own way. A series of koans for us to mull over while engaged in our story.

On a side note, I just saw that Jim Harrison published a new book of poems, Dead Men Float. I'm definitely going to have to pick that one up. I'll let yinz know how it is.

Sad to hear of Jim's passing - http://wtop.com/movies/2016/03/legends-of-the-fall-author-jim-harrison-dead-at-78/

One of the good guys. Sad to hear of this. I've enjoyed many of his stories and poems. A rare example these days of a soulful artist who really knew his craft combined with the sensibilities of a salt of the earth type.

Back