Magazines

TimRobinsin

TimRobinsin

Does anyone subscribe or read fly fishing zines anymore?

Yea flyfisherman but mine ran out. May or may not renew it.

I get Fly Tyer because I can always find vouchers on eBay for really cheap multi-year subscriptions and like looking at fly patterns.

I also still get Eastern Flyfishing because I like to learn about new places I usually don't think to go to, somewhat near by, but I usually let it expire a couple months so they send me a super cheap renewal option.

I let American Angler and Fly Fisherman expire last year since it kept seeming redundant...

I've got about 4 or 5, mainly cause a lot is still new to me and I'm learning plenty through a few of them. And ditto DanL on the Eastern Fly fishing... good for dreaming about future destinations that I'll likely never get to visit...

No. I'll buy "The Drake" if I get to the fly shop.

I find most magazines just regurgitate information most enthusiasts are past. Usually they're at least a year, or two, behind. That's fly fishing, archery, or motorsports.

The Drake. It's a great rag to read and I enjoy it every time it comes out. Plus, they published a piece of mine, so I'm a bit partial. I'll pick up Fly Fisherman every once in awhile or Gray's Sporting Journal for their fly fishing issue.

I really like Hatch Magazine and This is Fly for online reads.

Like so many, I used to be a subscriber to various magazines at one point in time or another. As of now, the only "zine" I get is the digital version of PFBC's "Pennsylvania Angler". With so much information on the internet, I'll echo what others have said that magazines are really just regurgitating information. I've always enjoyed reading magazines (whether work trade journals, fly fishing mags, etc.) but find the internet the best source of information when it comes to fly fishing/tying/gear, etc.

Fly Tyer because I like to tie !

raftman wrote:
The Drake. It's a great rag to read and I enjoy it every time it comes out. Plus, they published a piece of mine,

Raftman,
Any links to your published piece available?
Or copies around?
John

Raftman,
Or copies around?
John
Raftman,
Or copies around?
John

John,

Yep - Here you go man - http://www.drakemag.com/back-issues/2011/winter/763-sunday-school.html

It was published in their Winter 2011 issue.
Hope you dig it!

Fly Rod & Reel, Flyfishing and Tying Journal, and The Drake. I am on my final issue of my present Fly Fisherman subscription but doubt that I'll renew.

I like to read but dropped American Angler and Gray's for a personal reason, which is the same one for dropping FF.

I guess I show my age here: I much prefer to have a real magazine to read as opposed to some online thing. Heck, when my wife bought a Nook, I thought I'd get one until I saw that she had to charge it just about every day and witnessed some other problems she had. Just give me a real book.

Heck, when my wife bought a Nook, I thought I'd get one until I saw that she had to charge it just about every day and witnessed some other problems she had. Just give me a real book.

I felt the same way until my wife got a Kobo and I borrowed it to read The Stand. Her battery lasts about a month and I find that the backlit screen is really easy on my eyes. As an English teacher and lover of books, I'll never stop reading/buying actual books and magazines, but I do love how easy it is to get an ebook on the Kobo and the space it provides for so many titles on longer trips and camping excursions.

The only one I still read all the way through is Flyfishing and Flytying (the British one, not the Amato one.) There's just enough difference in perspective from across the pond to give me an idea or two on occasion.

I still have subscriptions to Anerican Angler and Fly Tyer, but I'm not sure why. I haven't seen anything interesting in either for some years now.

I can't stand The Drake.

Why not?..too hipster?..just curious

Raftman, nice piece in The Drake. Thanks for sharing. You verbalized some of my thoughts about being on the water.

In the past I have had subscriptions to Fly Tyer, American Angler and Fly Fisherman. I let them all lapse. I do however like to read books about flyfishing and flytying and have built a decent library. I must be getting old too because I like to read real books also!

Raftman, nice piece in The Drake. Thanks for sharing. You verbalized some of my thoughts about being on the water.

Thanks man. That means a heckuva lot. Really glad you dug it.

govtmule wrote:
Why not?..too hipster?..just curious

That pretty much sums it up.

Fly fishing for me has always been a contemplative pursuit, with a healthy respect for tradition. The Drake is geared toward the "ripping lips" crowd.

Hipster has its place, but fishing isn't it for me. ANd as Lenny Bruce pointed out, "there's nothing more pathetic than a middle-aged hipster."

I'm clearly not the target audience.

Lately, the target audience seems to be the "flat brimmed" crowd :-?

Raftman,
I agree; your piece was nicely done. Congratulations.

Back