Hatches II( 2004 20th Anniversary Edition)

WildTigerTrout

WildTigerTrout

Anybody have a copy of this one? They are selling on Amazon for $350 and up! I have one in mint condition. Maybe I should put it in a safe! Anyone know why they are selling at such a price?

You made me get up and check my copy. Yep.

I reference it a good bit.

WildTigerTrout wrote:
Anybody have a copy of this one? They are selling on Amazon for $350 and up! I have one in mint condition. Maybe I should put it in a safe! Anyone know why they are selling at such a price?

They're selling for $350+ or they're listed for $350+?

There's a big difference. It's Amazon, I can put whatever price I want on something there, but it takes someone willing to spend it in order to buy it.

I suspect if you look at ebay you'll see it much closer to $50. Without putting much effort forth, there was a copy of the "anniversary edition" sold in April for $45.

gfen wrote:
WildTigerTrout wrote:

They're selling for $350+ or they're listed for $350+?

There's a big difference. It's Amazon, I can put whatever price I want on something there, but it takes someone willing to spend it in order to buy it.

I suspect if you look at ebay you'll see it much closer to $50. Without putting much effort forth, there was a copy of the "anniversary edition" sold in April for $45.
That sounds reasonable to me. I know I would not pay that even though it's a great reference guide. $45 or $50 dollars is more like it. Thanks Ed

I used to own this and occasionally wish I still did. Over the years it was reissued a few times. For those reissues I made some effort to see if they actually changed anything other than an introduction or cover design. As far as I could tell, nothing of importance changed. So I am fairly sure you could get the 1980's Hatches II and not be missing any emergence or other entomology from the 2000 or 2004 versions. Those 80's Hatches II editions are readily available for the low to mid-20's shipped.

On the other hand, there are better ways of tying a comparadun than is shown in the book. There are other changes in entomology nomenclature and perhaps even some emergence and egg laying characteristics that have come to light by other authors, but those are inevitable and perhaps trivial tweaks, and do not diminish the usefulness of Hatches II.

They fished the Big Hole and made an impression on G. Lafontaine, who then wrote about it in the book. I recall thinking it is one thing to be a great bug guy, another thing to be a great fisherman, but even more rare to be both.

On Amazon, there's a listing of the book for $2,206.64, by a seller called "WisePenny Books."

LOL at the absurdly high price, seller name, and the $6.64 at the end. $2,200 would just not be enough. But for $2,206.64, we're willing to sell it!

Another thing: WisePenny Books almost certainly does not even have a copy of the book.

The great majority of those other sellers also do not have a copy.

They are cross-listers, spiders, book arbitrageurs, whatever name you want to call them. Their software finds books for sale elsewhere on the web, then cross lists the book to Amazon, with a big markup.

And the crosslisters software starts crosslisting off other crosslisters listings, and the software keeps ratcheting the price up each time.

That is reason for the insanely high prices.

I'm not making this up!

troutbert wrote:
And the crosslisters software starts crosslisting off other crosslisters listings, and the software keeps ratcheting the price up each time.

That is reason for the insanely high prices.

I'm not making this up!

Perfectly cromulent explanation. Somewhat amusing byproduct of the ease in which these systems re-list and re-sell.

When buying books, here is how to avoid getting price gouged by Amazon cross-listers / spiders, and how to find books online at reasonable, market prices.

------------------------------------------------
1) You have to do some shopping around. Do NOT assume that Amazon = the market for the book.

2) Google the title of the book. That may bring up other sellers.

3) Check these major bookseller sites: Addall.com Alibris.com AbeBooks.com

4) Check Ebay

5) Check flyshops with good selections of books.

6) Check Barnes & Noble's website. Stop by a bookstore store and see if they have it, or can order it.

http://www.michaeleisen.org/blog/?p=358

How the price of a book about flies (not flyfishing flies) got ratcheted up to $23,698,655.93.

I rarely find the best prices for anything on amazon.

When I am interested in finding a book or the price of a book I use the following website.

http://www.bookfinder.com

The search a bunch of websites and give a good list of sources and prices

billfrech wrote:
When I am interested in finding a book or the price of a book I use the following website.

http://www.bookfinder.com

The search a bunch of websites and give a good list of sources and prices

When I opened that website, it was set to Canadian dollars and Canadian shipping destinations.

But after resetting both of those, it worked.

One thing about this "search everything" site, and a similar one AddAll.com, is that they don't actually bring up everything.

They bring up a lot, so they are definitely worth checking, but they miss some things, too.

I don't know if it's the anniversary edition but I have a copy. Try Alibris.com, that's where I bought it.

for old/original fishing books i use ebay or anglebooks - which is in Wales but is usually cheaper than US dealers.

Back