Books or stories you read over and over again

E

ecks

Any favorites?
I read Hemingway’s Big Two Hearted River and Curtis Creek
Manifesto at least several times a year.

Vince Marinaro’s Modern Dry Fly Code.

Big Two Hearted River is a great one.

1. Trout Madness - Robert Traver
2. Modern Dry Fly Code -- Vincent Marinaro
3. A River Runs Through It - Norman Mclean
4. The Earth Is Enough -- Harry Middleton

Vanishing Trout, by Charles Lose

Yes, Vanishing Trout is a really good one to re-read.

Also, Howard Walden's wonderful "The Last Pool."

The River Why

The fly. Andrew herd
The rise. Paul Schullery
Fly Fishing Secrets of the Ancients. Also by Schullery
The Way of a Trout with a Fly. GEM Skues
Fishing the Wilder shores. Sydney Spencer
Trout. Ray Bergman

John Gierach's , Trout Bum

Fly Fishing Through Mid Life Crisis, by Howell Raines.

Jim

The Earth Is Enough -- Harry Middleton

Big Two Hearted River was mentioned several times and it is a good one. I might get it out and read it again.
Although not a fishing related book I have read The Yearling many times and always find new things. It is a great book for adults and even late teenagers I think. Many life lessons.

THE MOON PULLED UP AN ACRE OF BASS
Pete Kaminski
Every year for the month of October, Kaminski rents a house on Long Island FF stripers, blueish and albies.
The " side stories" supporting the fishing are equally well done.

I just re-read Pennsylvanian Dave Wolf's 1988 book entitled "Wolf Tracks on Potter County." Though it includes hunting stories as well as fishing stories, it is a nice read for an evening or two. In an email, Wolf told me that he might expand the book and call it "WToPC and Beyond." That would make a nice book for the present, and I hope he does it.

The book's real gem is a story called "The Colonel's Trout," a story about a monster trout that Wolf first doubted existed. But, he got ahold of it, and.... Well, you'll have to find the book and read the story.

If you do, I think you'll agree with me that it is a dandy story that ought to be anthologized in a collection of fly-fishing stories. It is a tale that I now plan to re-read on a regular basis. It's truly an entertaining tale.

"The Old Man and the Boy " by Robert Ruark. Read it as a boy, understanding it as an old man.

Since we are talking PA authors I would suggest Night Fishing for Trout by Jim Bashline. Good read and info too.

Dana Lamb's Where the Pools are Bright and Deep I have read so many times. Vanishing Trout and anything Gierach I've read multiple times.

I forgot Wetherell's Upland Stream. I read a couple Schweibert stories in The Ultimate Fishing Book and his Remembrances of Rivers past I probably a few stories from that more than any other.

Back