Any novels based around fishing/fly fishing?

gemiller

gemiller

I love to read, but I've read about up to my eyeballs in informational fishing books, kinda looking for a change in pace and a novel/story based around fishing.

I'd love to hear some recomendations.

I read a book by Jimmy Buffet that was loosely based on fly fishing...it was ok...

Have you read Gierach? They are short stories, and they are non-fiction, but they are among my favorites.

Vanishing Trout by Charles Lose is one of my favorites. It's not a how to book and not a novel either. It was written in 1930 and is reminisces of fishing NC PA streams, especially the Loyalsock Creek, back in the day.

You should be able to get it through inter-library loan. It is getting difficult to find copies to buy at a reasonable price.

"Joe and Me" - James Prosek

The Longest Silence- Thomas McGuane. A little heady but I liked it.

Nervous Water: Variations on a Theme of Fly Fishing By Steve Raymond- recently listened to it on CD it was good. More a collection of flyfishing stories sewn together.

Anyone read the newer book "Flyfishing with Darth Vadar"???? hehe

"The Snowfly" - Joseph Heywood

Not just a good novel with a lot of fly fishing in it and a plot largely based in fly fishing, but a flat out fine novel period.

http://www.amazon.com/Snowfly-Novel-Joseph-Heywood/dp/1592285104/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265756029&sr=1-8

Thanks for all the recomendations, i'll be looking into all of them!

A few that I have enjoyed over the years:

Trout Magic by Robert Travers, A River Never Sleeps by Haig-Brown, and The Last Pool - Upstream and Down and Big Stoney by Howard T. Walden.

They've given you some good choices for fishing books. A true novel with a little fly-fishing in it, though not based around fly-fishing, is "Anatomy of a Murder" by Robert Traver, author of "Trout Magic" and the even better "Trout Madness."
Don't forget Hemingway's "The Old Man and the Sea," though not fly-fishing but is a fine novella centered around fishing.
And, of course, there is the wonderful long story "A River Runs Through It." It is well worth reading every year or so.
And, if you can find it, Harry Middleton's "The Earth is Enough" is a wonderful book centered pretty much around fly-fishing. His "On the Spine of Time" is a fine read, too.
These and the wonderful other books suggested by others ought to help you get away from the other types of fly-fishing books for a while.
Good reading!

I agree with Gierach, and of course A River Runs Through It.

The Old Man and the Boy: Robert Ruark
Tales of the Anglers Eldorado,New Zealand: Zane Grey' there are others he wrote, I read and enjoyed this one.
With Hemmingway: a year in Key West and Cuba: Arnold Samuelson

Back