your week early gaines report....

• Thread starter salvelinusfontinalis
  • Start date
salvelinusfontinalis

salvelinusfontinalis

well i wanted to go to slate run but it was family fun weekend. so instead i fished streams around the cabin within a 15 minute drive.
i fished only wild trout streams....that is besides pine(but that is debatable!)im posting this here because i refuse to post wild trout stream names.

pine creek: pine is fishing well and there is still plenty of trout in the creek. i did see what appeared to be some tan caddis flies and some light mayflies. not sure on the species, but they were white. also saw some march browns and slate drakes, though they were few and far between. i took a canoe (from pine creek outfitters) from rexford downstream to the outfitter. some of those bigger holes have plenty of trout in them....just gotta get to them. all the years going up there i have found that this is the best way to fish the creek. walking it can be tiresome (if fishing a large section) and cumbersome because of deep water changing sides and the lack of streambank on that side. i highly recommend the canoe, but remember that that water is low right now. had to walk it here and there. from rexford to the outfitter costs 12 per person and is a two hour trip. i recommend if your gonna fish pine all day the trip from watrous to the outfiiter. it is 17 dollars per person and is a 4 hour trip. (those times are if you go straight down, fishing time not included) managed to catch 5 in pine today between 10:30-2:00. 3 on a rubberlegged orange stimulator and 2 on a bh crystal olive bugger. not many fish rising but it was early in the day. we passed over what appeared to be a pretty big wild brookie. it was hard to tell but it had a lot of color. hopefully on of ya guys catch him!

the little creeks(tribs to pine): i fished about 4 wild trout streams in the mornings all weekend. the water is low but cold. thermo temp reg. a 60 degree temp on most waters. saw alot of march browns on these little streams. also a bunch a stoneflies(yellow). the browns i had caught in some of the streams in jan. are gone. left the breeding grounds and now are probably in pine or a freezer. these streams truely are special because you can always fish dry flies without much thought into which pattern. caught fish on rubberlegged orange stimulator , buggers, a black trico dun with flashy wings, yellow drakes, green drakes, march browns, slate drakes, blue duns, and many others. it seemed if i got a refusal i just change to any random fly and they were taking it.

i got a 12 inch or more wild brookie that took the rubberlegged orange stimulator. funny how strong big brookies fight. he ran me under a log jam which snagged me. the log jam creates a dam with a waterfall and i move up above the hole. i reeled the line up to the rod tip. this drew the fish out of the jam and he took out some drag! never had a brookie do that to me before. i was pleased to get him in unharmed. unfortunatly the pic came out a little blurry, but you can see all his bright colors still. just a stunning fish. the stream i caught him in was no wider than 3 ft in most places! he got big eating those small brookies. i didnt notice him in that hole and had a 5 inch brookie take the stimulator. im bringing him in and that big fish attacked him. ripping him off of the hook! well then i had to catch him. 2 casts later i had that fish. :-D note: finding bigger brookies is hard but not impossible. you just gotta fish many streams before you get one. but they are out there! i think with the way the water is right now....look for the biggest hole in the stream. thats where this guy was. big fish dominate the best holes!

i did catch a one wild brown in a stream that i have never seen one in before. a beautiful fish. he took a black bugger. the stream is dominated by brookies. it has wild brookies and stocked brookies. at some point browns must have been put in. this stream doesnt run into pine and the stream it feeds does warm. this guy is either a resident of this watershed. or came from pine, into the second stream and then up this one to find thermal refuge. i love wild browns! but i hope this isnt a sign that they are coming to take this stream over! i caught about 20 wild brookies out of this stream and quite a few 8 inchers. hate to see it change thats all.

other things to do:
there is a lady that feeds deer near germania. we went there around 8 on saturady and watch about 100 deer crawl out of the woods towards her house. quite a sight! not sure of the road name but ill look it up this week. i do know that is its past galeton.

animalland: lol my wife wanted to go there so we did! its ok.....the bear was licking fruit loops out of a girls hand! snadfly is band from here......we know the golden pheasent had some nice feathers but hands off!

take the rail and trail to darling run. you can park right at darling run and walk to the right.(follow pine upstream) there was a dcnr person there with a whole set-up. a bald eagle has a nest in a tree across pine. the babies are big but they might still be there when the jam hits. she was just beautiful.

visit sandfly....hes lonely! :p

anyways there is my report. loadin pics into photobucket and then ill post some up. the jam is looking like it could have some great fishing.......weather permitting!

i posted up some of the many pics taken for your viewing pleasure once the mods get to it. heres two for ya i thought were cool or funny

heres how i fised the backwoods....now keep in mind not all the roads are open to these:
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t76/salvelinusfontinalis/stupid%20pics%20for%20stupid%20links/howtofishthebackwoods.jpg

and a resident of tioga county i found near one of my favorite streams. never seen ones like this in real life:
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t76/salvelinusfontinalis/stupid%20pics%20for%20stupid%20links/tiogacountyresident.jpg

good luck at the jam! :-D

It's hard to tell from the pic, but is that a red eft?
Thanks for the report, man!

Boyer

yep i belive it was. i saw about 6 of those guys around my car and the stream. thought it was pretty cool.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/wildlife/Resources/amphibians/redeft.htm

oh yeah, just a reminder. the landowners are watching you! i was fishing a small wild trout stream up in tioga. most of the stream is posted but i was fishing unposted water. anyways, there is a huge hole just about were the open section ends. i always catch a bunch of brookies in that hole. well when i got to it i found 3 worm containers sitting on the streambank. sure enough no fish in the hole :-x legal but a shame....as if pine didnt have enough trout in it. i promptly picked them up and started carrying them to my car. well.....when i got there i was greeted by a guy on a 4 wheeler. he told me that he owns the posted section and thanked me for not entering his property. he said that with all the campers this weekend he had to kick out at least 5 people fishing his property and i was the first one that respected the signs. he also thanked me for picking up the litter and invited me to fish his property. which i gladly took him up on! :-D lots of nice brookies in his section.
i asked him how he saw me and he said he was sitting on his porch drinking his morning coffee and watching me fish....through binoculars! so they are watching...better be good!

Dang Sal, you get on more waters that way. A bird told me about some other waters you got on in kinda the same fashion.

really? i wonder which one....there are alot of private waters i get on. just gotta have respect and give a little :-D

So its not your pretty face then?

well thats part of it! :-D a big smile and a body like mine... :p

Back