xmas steel

mcfinn

mcfinn

Firstly: Here's wishing everybody much holiday cheer and plenty of good stuff in the year to come. Secondly: Speaking of holiday cheer, am home in Erie for the Yule and will haunt the tribs (like a ghost of xmas present). If anybody's up this way and fancies some stream time or pub-guidance, lemme know.

I'm thinking about heading up monday.
The forecast isn't bad - but not really good either.
snow flurries with a high of 38.
I'm going to call my buddy mark and see if he's interested

I had the great pleasure of bumping into McFinn this morning and fishing with him for steel. I did manage to land one today in the discolored water, maybe Derick (McFinn) will post the photo?

I was up there on Wed and saw the spike from 120 to 1000 cfs first hand on walnut. Lets just say I didn't catch anything! lol.

Have a great holiday. Hopefully I can make it up at least once more before the deep freeze.

I was up yesterday. I caught the smallest steelies ever. One was 18" and the other was 20". One on 7 mile and the other on 20 mile. I had a fresh bruiser break me off on 7 mile due to my drag being a little too tight(it haunted my dreams last night), and I had a hook come loose on another decent fish on 20 mile. Really rough wading on 20 mile in the morning. Oh, also speaking of small steel, a guy in my group caught a 11" and one about 12 or 13, what the heck is up with such small fish? What size do these fish have to be before they are sexually mature?

smaller fish may be wild or fish stocked in NY smolting down.
Respect the posted signs up stream of RT20. Property owners are very upset.

Saw Albatross strolling mightily across a trib's parking lot a couple days ago, which was some nice luck. We made a few hours of stream-time together, tested the thorn-proofness of our outerwear, and even managed to get in some downhill skiing at one point. I was noticeably impressed by Albi's fearlessness as we Lewis and Clarked our way through some dense Erie flora in search of feesh.
Here's a couple action shots of xmas week steel so far...
FWIW tribs are still fishing well, with energetic silver steelies moving
in & out. Unusually mild weather for Erie, lately.

Attachments

• albatross3.jpg
    albatross3.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 2
  • albatross2.jpg
    albatross2.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 2
  • albatross1.jpg
    albatross1.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 2
  • albeit.jpg
    albeit.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 3
The second photo is awesome, I love the look of that fish.

Sounds like a fun christmas!

Bruno and I got out on the tribs with McFinn yesterday (Mon Dec 26). The fishing was slow, but the company was great (as usual). Bruno landed the only steelhead for our party and I don't think he got a photo. I got a few nice silhouette shots near sunset...

WP_000138.jpg

WP_000134.jpg

Back