whirling disease??

brookieaddict

brookieaddict

My son fished the Hammer north of Lititz and saw several Bows spining in circles along with some Rock Bass . Many dead fish littred the are. . I wonder if it isnt a pesticide or another man made killer??

whirling disease, I think that is what our politicans have when trying to weasel out of the mess they have our country in?

Whirling disease doesn't affect rock bass. When you say "many" dead fish littered the area - keep in mind it's always common to see a few dead trout in stocked areas. I'm more concerned about the rock bass as I think they're a better indicator that something is awry. It's possible that a fisherman (or several) fishing worms may have been deep hooking them and tossing 'em back since they were not trout. However since you saw some swimming badly you might call the PFBC and describe what you saw. They might care to check up on the stream.

I spoke to the Lancaster Co. Waterways Conservation Officer. He had had no reports of a fishkill and, furthermore, had just completed stocking Hammer Creek and had not seen any dead fish. "Brookieaddict," if you are willing, we would appreciate it if you would report the exact location of the kill to the PFBC regional law enforcement office, which is located on Speedwell Forge Lake (Hammer Creek). Call 717-626-0228. Given today's rain and the expected higher flows, the "trail is old," but it would be worthwhile for our Conservation Officer to have some more details in case this situation becomes chronic. Thank you.

Michael Kaufmann
PFBC Area Fisheries Manager - SE Pa.

Interesting in deed. I was fishing the Restoration area on Saturday (well below the dam) and saw a few chubs swimming on thier sides at the top of the water. Didnt think much of it until i read this post.

On the flipside i fished the Boy Scout property on Sunday and caught a few wild brookies and saw a few more. Wonder what is going on.

What gets me at this of year are the dead fish that others just leave behind because they decided that they needn't want them after all. Saw two like that yesterday. Both fish were about 20 feet apart.

Mike ,ill let my son know , thanks.

Back