what u like about them?

• Thread starter salvelinusfontinalis
  • Start date
salvelinusfontinalis

salvelinusfontinalis

kinda a shot off of the hardest trout to catch thread. instead of the hardest ....what do you like about each species and what is your favorite?

mine is
1.wild brook trout
2.wild/holdover browns
3.wild bows and holdover bows
4. fresh stockies

i love the wild brookie the most. easy to catch an the most beautiful. i often dont have to "think" to catch alot of brookies. as long as you dont spook them, youll catch them. makes for a nice, enjoyable and easygoing outing of fishing. also i like the fact a small 10 inch fish is a trophy. i love it when i see a large brookie take my fly. it still today makes my heart flutter, like buck fever!

wild and holdover browns today for me are running a close second. i love trying for letort and highly pressured holdover browns. they will frustrate u all day! sometimes i like fishing that is very technical. makes me think of charlie fox and vince on the letort figuring out those browns.....and not figuring them :cool: though they will frustrate u ...when u catch one pure bliss....sweet as honey!

wild and holdover bows. holdover bows can be technical fishing also. mainly the only thing about bows i like is the jumping :-D

fresh stockies are dumb pale fish that usually the brightest most flashy fly will catch. u can go to a stream and catch tons of fish. but the pale easy fishing is lacking for me anymore.

guess im a snob! :-D

This bears posting under this thread:

TESTAMENT OF A FISHERMAN

I fish because I love to;

because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful, and hate the environs where crowds of people are found, which are invariably ugly;

because of all the television commercials, cocktail parties, and assorted social posturing I thus escape; because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion;

because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience; because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I for one don't want to waste the trip;

because mercifully there are no telephones on trout waters; because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness; because bourbon out of an old tin cup always tastes better out there;

because maybe one day I will catch a mermaid;

and, finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant - and not nearly so much fun.

- Robert Traver, 1964 (Judge John Voelker, 1903-1993)

Their surroundings!!!! Just as Padraic quoted.

I like pretty much all fish! :-D
JH

I like any trout that bites my fly, especially a dry one. Like beer and doughnuts, I've never met a trout I didn't like.

Dont like most bows, love the waryness of a big wild brown, but like you Sal I love the savage yet fragile beauty of our state fish most of all. Heck, both our handles are named after them.

I enjoy fishing for most any trout, doesn't matter if their wild or stocked. I guess it has a lot to do with the surroundings and the beauty of the fish.

Im not very big on catching 4 inch trout on some small stream, I would rather catch fish that have some meat on them and you can feel the tug on the end of your rod, but thats just me!

I guess thats why I enjoy fishing Spring creek, fishing creek and Penns, always a chance of catching some big fish!

I guess thats why they call me the troutsnob :)

PaulG

I agree... mostly... I love the smallies. Yee Haa!!

Brookies--fresh off the truck! Just kidding--really, I like it all. Last night I had two of my Grandkids to a local pond. Bluegills were jumping almost clear of the surface to grab flies at darktime--I still get so excited about any of it. I'll be back there with my flyrod soon to see if I can teach them (Grandkids) a little something. Gotta agree with Pad about smallmouth on a flyrod--that's a tough one to beat.

To keep it simple: If it swims, I'll try to catch it.

Steve

Big wild browns, the kings of the stream. Not only are they picky, but they can easily break you off. The combination of the approch, presentation, fly selection, and playing which is required to catch a large wild brown makes them the most rewarding IMO.

I would say I like all wild trout pretty much the same, but I like each one for different reasons:
Wild Brookies for their beauty.
Wild Browns for their ability to fight.
Wild Rainbows for their ability to leap.
Stockers for their ability to mix well with lemon pepper and butter :-D

On a side note I gotta agree with Padraic too, smallies on the fly pretty much can't be beat if you're looking for a good battle.

Back