what PA stream do you wish was not posted?

k-bob

k-bob

I don't cross posting signs or fish where owners or parks don't allow, but what streams do you wish were not posted?

to me, #1 is Kitchen creek in the rickett's glen natural area... wish it was was not posted, but I can see why it is (very steep area and people could/would get hurt) ,,, amazing place, and you can see the fish in there!

Just off the top of my head - I've read and heard some great things about Antes creek in Lycoming county.

I also know of a pool on a posted section of spring creek in centre county, that is loaded with fish in the 20 inch range

Both Antes and Kitchen are great picks!

-edit-:

I change my pick

Mine hands down is West Branch Lackawaxen River.

Cedar Run in Cumberland County is #2.

SixPenny in Berks County: Posted by the park because of a quarry.

Many areas of Spruce Creek, Centre County.

I second K-bob's Kitchen Creek. Though, I think the posting has nothing to do with danger and everything to do with the tourist attraction of all of the falls and the well used hiking trail that runs along it.

There are many, many short posted sections which prevent or make access difficult to open sections. I hate those. Most of them I shouldn't mention in fear of getting called out for "spot burning."

pcray1231 wrote:
SixPenny in Berks County: Posted by the park because of a quarry.

Many areas of Spruce Creek, Centre County.

I second K-bob's Kitchen Creek. Though, I think the posting has nothing to do with danger and everything to do with the tourist attraction of all of the falls and the well used hiking trail that runs along it.

There are many, many short posted sections which prevent or make access difficult to open sections. I hate those. Most of them I shouldn't mention in fear of getting called out for "spot burning."

I'll second Spruce.

This is an easy one to me Spruce Creek in Centre County. Some of the nicest water in the state, full of browns that will put a smile on your face for a lifetime!

Paradise Branch in just north of Stroudsburg.

Another for Spruce. Plus anything the Beav has his grimy paws on.

As already mentioned...

Cedar Run in Cumberland Co.
Elk Creek near Coburn.

And also the Conewago down thru The Narrows, Adams County.

Easy vote for me: the "narrows" of Conewago Creek. This is easily the best water in my county and has been posted on again/off again by clubs for decades. Back in the 80s it was mostly open and a favorite section of mine. The clubs have it entirely closed off now for probably the last 20 years and I doubt it will be open again any time soon.

20 mile creek in Erie, near the tressel on rt5. That hole used (and I'm sure still is when the run's on) to be loaded with chrome. Sucks not only because you can't fish there anymore, but also because it jams things up even more with anglers.

Another for spruce creek. 1 mile of slammed fish just isn't enough for me. :(

Antes Creek in Lycoming County. The ENTIRE stream is posted! I never see a soul fishing it though. This stream is the northernmost limestone stream in Pa!

I obviously don't live in PA near a personal favorite stream that might be on the list, so I have a little different perspective. I'm glad that the state compiles the list. I don't pay any attention to specific stocked creeks and have never been to PA to fish stockies (I can do that in the creek my TU chapter maintains here). It's great to see the list and know what other creeks close by the wild brookie streams I fish also have some wild reproduction. I know my favorite creek like the back of my hand now. The new list has given me 6 new options to consider. To me, that is good. I have new places to explore and if the creeks do fish, then I can spread the pressure around a little instead of catching the same fish in the same run all of the time. I guess what I have no way to gauge is how much traffic these brook trout streams actually get. I have never seen another fisherman on the creeks I fish. I see evidence of people being around due to all of the hiking trails, but I have only seen evidence of other fisherman on one of the wild streams I fish. I say this because I think across the board, folks that fish for wild trout in PA have a different attitude towards those fisheries than folks that live for trout season to fill the freezer with stockers. I'm not dissing the fishing of stocked creeks, but people that appreciate the wild reproducing fish are in love with the fish and the setting. These fish in PA are small across the board and though I'm sure wild brookies are tasty, you sure would have to put in an huge effort to put minimal meat in the freezer. So, that is obviously an assumption on my part. Do any of you folks have 1st hand knowledge of small streams that really have suffered set-backs to the wild reproducing trout do to a listing like this? I'm asking out of pure curiosity...not to stir anything up.

I'd have to go with the other couple of guys who said Elk Creek and add Pine Creek around Coburn. I had some nice spots I like on both streams, that are now posted. It was a shame that the guy posted the part of the stream down by Coburn park, it was a great place to go, if you didn't have a lot of time to drive some place in the evening....darn shame!

PaulG

Kitchen Creek: How a stream running through a state park and open to the public to enjoy cannot be fished is ridiculous. Yep I would love to drive 2.5 hrs just to stare at trout in the water. wtf? as for safety, thats just bs too since many parks and forests have dangerous falls. cliffs and ravines open and not shut off to public use.

My choice in eastern Pa: Cherry Creek in Monroe. To look at it you'd swear it was fallfish/chub water as it slowly wanders through overgrown farm country but its loaded with all three species and always has good flows and temps because of limestone influences. the uppermost section had a whopping trout biomass 278 kg/ha or nearly 7x the state minumum for class "A" status.

in talking to the cherry valley NWR people they say as they acquire lands in the valley, fishing will be allowed. can't wait!

Back