this weekends predictions

YorkFlyGuy

YorkFlyGuy

I am supposed to be going out to Huntingdon County this weekend to fish a few different streams. I see the air temps are to drop 15-20 degrees. Will this turn off any type of hatch expected this weekend? I still plan on going of course, just wanting to know what I should expect.

If a hatch is just getting started, or otherwise about to, yeah, it'll delay things. But once a hatch is fully underway they carry a sort of "momentum".

It's not set in stone by any means, but it's more likely to turn off the fish than the hatch.

You should have some grannoms with you

dryflyguy wrote:
I have plenty of EH Caddis, tan, gray, olive. Do you have a size recommendation, or a variation other than Elk Hair?

YorkFlyGuy wrote:
dryflyguy wrote:
I have plenty of EH Caddis, tan, gray, olive. Do you have a size recommendation, or a variation other than Elk Hair?

They're a size #14 - brownish gray in color

Great, I will see what I have and look to tie something up if I am lacking. Thanks for the help.

BTW, pcray, thanks for the general statement on what to expect with the weather change.

based on personal experience, once the hendricksons start...they don't stop. I've fished them in a snow squal, pouring rains, sleet storms, etc. I think the grannoms are similar. Once they get rolling, they will continue to hatch. You might have a lighter hatch with cooler weather moving in but I think a strong high moving over the area will hurt the hatch more than the cooler weather.

I'd be more concerned with the water levels than the hatches. Better have some weighted buggers and nymphs on reserve.

Van_Cleaver wrote:
Better have some weighted buggers and nymphs on reserve.

I have both tied up and ready. Hoping the smaller creeks will lower quicker.

Prospects aren't good for this weekend.Temperatures are going to go down.

Penns is going up fast. You may be blown out. I hope I'm wrong.

Based on the look of the line of t-storms coming through the state, I think that a lot of streams in the state are going to be high this weekend.

The grannoms have begun on the Little J. I was fortunate to fish this morning. I was using a lead wing coachman and a dry caddis consisting of a black body, and brown deer hair wing. It will be cold and the water will be up a little. The grannoms tend to hatch when the water temp reaches 50. With the cold front, the fishing will slow down. The grannoms will hatch, but it will be at a reduced rate. Make sure you have several sizes of weight for the nymphs.

I didn't get to the grannoms on the LJ, but I did get to some smaller streams. Most were high and running. I got to Tuscarora creek for the first time and was quite, and pleasantly, surprised at the quality of stream. Had lots of nymph action, but saw nothing rising. It was cold, but a great weekend.

I fish with a mostly spin fishermen, so they aren't attracted to the LJs hatch. I will be sure to get there during our trip net year.

Thanks to all the advice and words aimed at making my experience better.

Back