thinking of moving to PA, little help

J

j2112oe

Hello,

My family is considering taking a position in Clearfield Pa. Currently, we live in TN. I was hoping to get a little info on the fly fishing in the area. Specifically the trout fishing.
I guess I am a little spoiled now. I live in the middle of two trophy producing tailwaters and am surrounded by unending streams of native brook trout.
When interviewing in PA, I noticed many streams glowed red/orange. Which I assume is from runoff/mining. Others were muddy messes with water so thick you could barely make out the bottom.
My sons and I fish regularly, and although this isn't #1 on our list, it is a concern. Are there wild trout streams in this area, and if so are they accessible?

thanks
ja

You're gonna be fine. There is plenty of fishing near Clearfield in spite of some of the waters you see along the main roads. To the north and east especially there are several Class A wild trout streams and there is a ton of really great fishing less than an hour in every direction.

Visit the Pa fish commission web site and select Clearfield county. Poke around and play with the map and you'll see what I mean.

http://pfbc.state.pa.us/CountyGuide/County_Guide.htm

Others will be by soon to brag about Pa soon as well.

There is one stream about 20 minutes from me hear in huntingdon it is called the Little Juniata River and it is a catch and release only. There is also spruce creek but the majority of it is private and only a small section is public. There are plenty of streams and creeks all around just dont be afraid to ask around. These gus are real helpful and anyone you come in contact with out on the stream. They will provide with you plenty of information on where to go.

You'll spend the rest of your life trying to sample all the great trout fishing within a 2 hour radius of clearfield. Don't be concerned.

Fishing is a main concern with me, with respect to moving. Clearfield would be one of my top choices, given its proximity to the famous limestoners.

Little J, Big Fishing Creek, Spring, Spruce, Penns, and tons of less famous streams are right there.

My wife is from Clearfield. It is true that many local streams are just rotten with mine acid drainage. But mine acid's a funny thing, it ruins one stream while having no effect on another. There are a few good native brookie streams minutes away.

Other than that, within an hours drive you can be on some of our most famous waters. Spring Creek near State College, the Little Juniata River around Tyrone are some of the best waters in the state, both right about an hour away. Plenty of other options in those areas too. Go north, and though the quality of a Spring Creek or LJR may not be there, its replaced with literally a thousand lesser, but still good options, I'm not making that number up. Plenty of small wild brook trout streams, a few wild brown trout streams, and some stocked water.

Black Moshannon Creek (flows out of the reservoir) isn't far, its special regs and a nice setting, though its stocked fish. The name is appropriate, the water is black, its due to a reaction with plant life in the lake and not mine acid.

Generally, go by geology (google maps terrain feature is useful for you). To your N and NE, once you get on the plateau, most of the small streams are going to hold native trout. This would be the sinnemahoning and west branch drainages. The closest good ones to you in those drainages will be Medix Run and Mosquito Creek (near Karthaus), respectively. Beyond that, each one of the deeper, darker looking valleys will likely have fish. The stretch from Renovo to Emporium is just rotten with good fishing. The Kettle Creek is a famous drainage, its not that far from you.

To your SE, Port Matilda sits in the valley between the Allegheny Front, and Bald Eagle Mountain. Bald Eagle is the first mountain in the ridge and valley province of PA. Bald Eagle Creek is in that valley, its a decent but crowded stocked stream until below where Spring Creek meets it (Bellefonte). But basically, as soon as you get past Bald Eagle Mountain you're in limestone country. This area tends to have large springs, and thus bigger, richer trout streams, and holds most of our most famous waters and many more that should be famous....

When choosing a house, stay on the NE or SE side of town, depending on whether you like small wilderness like wild trout streams or large famous but more crowded limestoners, respectively.

Clearfield is an old town, and the area is not exactly "ritzy" by even backwoods PA standards. Whether the area attracts you or not is up to you. But fishing is not an issue, it has that....

The pros are as the guys have mentioned. You'll almost certainly be closer to more small brook trout streams of equal or better quality than you are now. And you'll be fairly proximate to PA's better limestone wild trout fisheries

The cons, such as they are, are that there are really no fisheries in the area commensurate or much like TN tailwaters like the South Holston, Caney Fork or others. Doesn't mean there aren't fisheries that are just as good or better. Just different.

The period of the year when it is likely you'll be comfortable on the water is probably a little shorter.

If you do much lake fishing or river bass fishing, that will probably be a little poorer in the immediate Clearfield area.

Overall, based on the little information we have, I'd say you would
more just be moving to something different and not necessarily better or worse.

There's plenty of trout fishing near Clearfield PA. The orange on the rocks is from mining. I'd stay away from those streams, but that's just me, some have brookies, some don't. Once you get here get a PA Gazetteer and go exploring, you'll find plenty of gems. Ken U lives there maybe he'll chime in.

Back