the run parking lot (Boiling Springs)

A

alatt

The parking lot along the run in Boiling Springs will be closed from April 9-27 for paving so the sign says.

The sign is correct.
After months of effort, CVTU in conjunction with the town, finally secured the funding to repair this lot. There is some limited parking around the lake and Yellow Breeches Creek - if you're planning on visiting this area this month during a weekend, it might be better to park down at Allenberry or up in town by the fly shop.

Thanks! that's good information.

Is it a permeable surface lot? If not shame on them!

Chaz,

Permeable surface pavement was part of the original plan.

However, obtaining the funding for this project has been extremely tough and the permeable pavement just sent the cost through the roof and made it way beyond our reach. As you know, it's a tough fund raising environment these days. After examining the long term effectiveness of permeable pavement (it tends to lose it's permeability with time due to build up of road dust etc - this is a very heavily used parking lot) and our budget constraints.....we made what we think to be the best budget compromise and went with conventional surfacing.

As it stands right now, there's a large, broken up, pot-hole filled lot with no storm water controls that runs sediment into the stream. The new lot will have excellent storm water management. We feel that the improvement project was better than doing nothing.

Thanks for the heads up. I had bounced through the lot a couple months back, so I'm sure that most people will be grateful for any help there.

Just throwing this out there:

Would it be possible to back the lot away from the stream slightly and create a swale-like trough to take the run-off through some course of "treatment" (even if natural, such as a limestone seive or something) before that runoff reaches the creek? There may be experimental grant money available to "study" some innovative way to ameliorate issues of direct run-off entering a nearby creek.

Yeah, "someone" (not me) ought to look into this. :cool:

JackM wrote:
Would it be possible to back the lot away from the stream slightly and create a swale-like trough

It's in the planning. Controlling the storm water run-off is the main technical concern.

Best of luck.

Back