smooth casting

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

I was out walking around last weekend and hit a few spots (didn't see a single fish). It was so cold that ice was forming on the eyes. Something happened that opened my eyes. Now inbetween no ice, and copletely iced shut, the eyes hit this sweet spot of slipperiness that my line shot out like butter. I mean it was effortless and was just curious to see if there is any product, like a greese or wax to get this effect durring normal conditions without interfering with leaving trails on my line and in the water. I liked it because it cut down on my false casting and from what I've read that really helps out. Just one of my "more complex than it has to be" questions most likely. Thanks for all your help though.

a good clean line should usually work that way. Other than that, I've never heard of anything to put on your guides like that.

I would definitely recommend cleaning your line after each trip though.

Pledge furniture polish -- spray it on a rag and polish the rod and guides.

i second the pledge, maybe once a month or so during the season, and keep your lines clean and conditioned, (for me, once a week or so during the season) you'll notice a big difference.
you can put a bit of ice off paste on the guides in the the winter too.

Watch that ice, even though it looks smooth ice is rough and sharp and will tear a line to pieces...you can't see it with a naked eye but under a strong magnifier its like a saw on your line..

keep the ice off or you'll need a new one by the beginning of season

does the pledge leave an oily residue? Just curious because I wouldnt want that to pass onto the water or contaminate (sp) my fly, leader, etc.

I'm pretty sure its hydrophobic... i don't think it will do much beyond stick to your line... and that will eventually get cleaned off when you are done for the day.

Back