rig question

Bruno

Bruno

When you tie on a double nymph rig do you drop the tippet size to the dropper fly ?

Sometimes I go up in size because I'm expecting more hook-ups on the bottom fly and want the extra durability.

I go down in size to fit the size of the next hook. If it is a small midge pattern, I'll drop.

Most of the time I stay the same.

No. I use the same tippet. I would't want what I thought would be my more stable base with ligther thread weight flipping around. Not to mention I drag and bounce that poor bottom nymph to feel every nook and cranny. Or a lighter thresd that spools against the other. So no. So far so good. I'll keep it the same for now.

I try to use the same but sometimes go lower- what ever gets good drifts and does'nt spook out fish.

I'm in the same boat as MKern, I do the the same thing. I often will use a heavily weighted nymph to get a smaller unweighted one on the bottom or near bottom.

JH

I stay the same, mostly - 5x
If my tip is 4x - I'll usually go down to 5x - but most of the size flies are never any bigger than a #12 and most imes are #14-#18

I almost always drop a tippet size for the trailing fly because it almost always smaller and lighter, but my thought process is that if I snag something with the trailing fly of a tandem rig and I have to break the line, the lighter tippet will break first and I can hopefully retain my lead fly.

Back