out of work

T

trout48

Went in today and am a shop steward management had a meeting called for 8;45 and told us they are locking the gates on July 31 so I will have a lot of time to chase trout. I work for dupont and the auto industry is in shambles. I feel sorry for the younger guys Iam 59 so its a hit but not to big.

sorry to hear that.

Sorry to hear that as well -my wife is with Dupont as well and knew these cuts were coming. What facility did you work at?

Also sorry to hear that. Maybe it will cheer you to know the Chairman of the Board of Directors Charles O. Holliday, Jr. said this morning that he was the most depressed he has ever been in his life.... yeah, said he felt like a million bucks.

I don't have to tell the you bad side or the good side if that...good luck either way.

Yeah I got laid off back on march 2nd worked at bonney forge down in mount union for 4 years and they have laid off over half the employees, supervisors, and other office people. Everyone that gets laid off says I dont have anything to worry about I will get called back. I didnt take that chance took my civil service test for a corrections officer for huntingdon and I am the 29th guy to get hired there providing none of the 28 guys ahead of me want the job. So I will have a secure job at the prison cause there will always be people out there doing crazy, stupid, and foolish things.

I worked for Marshall Lab in Philly been there for 34 years and always thought I could leave when I wanted. Didnt work out that way, would have taken the last offer except I need the health benes for my one daughter still in school. Thats life I will make out but I talked to the better half and was told to take some time off after working all that time, So I am going to do some fishing for a while have a house in the poconos so will make that home base for a while while I fish some time away. Nick

Good luck with the job hunt guys! We sure have this country in a mess, thanks to our clueless pols, not to mention bankers, and car guys who built cars to satisfy the shareholders. Problem is the perps walk with tons of our cash

Sorry to hear that. I'll be out of a job come the end of June myself. Might be moving back to Colorado. Oh darn. We'll see.

The Poconos sound like a nice place to job hunt from.

trout48 wrote:
I worked for Marshall Lab in Philly

i live right down the street at 22nd & fitz,stop by anytime!

i got laid off this time last year.you do get more fishing time in when you don't work.

Sorry to hear that as well. I will be hitting the UE line as soon as we get a new union contract. Possibly by the end of the month from there I get 60 calander days notice then............. DAS BOOT!!! Plan on kickin back with my fly rod to do some late summer/fall trout hunting. My goal is to learn the streams in my area better. As for work.... it's overrated anyway in my book .

(I keep refering to my situation as a mid life short term retirement)

trout48.... been there myself, we had a no layoff clause, but that ment going to another city which i did, got tired of that, toke a heck of a pay cut to find a job back in pitt, but yes , now you can fish during the week when its less crowded

Been there. You don't need my details. My friends treated me weird, like it was something I did. Best to you. Work for Sanofi Pasteur now if that fits your experience.

Sorry to hear about the bad news. Definitely use some of that time to chase some trout. Maybe you can look at it as an early retirement; something I have a long time before I have that chance. Good luck if you are job hunting.

This should make me feel like a dinosaur , but i'm not gonna let it, and you don't let it make you feel bad either , take the layoff time and fish , be with your family , do what makes your situation as happy as possible for you and your loved ones , this stuff has been going on for a long time , some young folks and some folks that worked for secure companies or entities are experiencing it for the first time , i worked in the steel industry for 32 yrs. can't remember how many times they were "closing us down" , this IS THE USA our faith in ourselves will win out over anything anyone can throw at us.TROUT48 FISH!!!!!!!

I agree with Osprey, use the time to fish...and get a part timer to suplement the Unemployment Comp. Since you get sacked in late summer, you will have the fall to go after trout with the feed bag on.

I've been off since lat January, I've learned I'm too busy to work! :-D But I gotta do something this Summer or my Sugar Mama is gonna toss my arse to the curb. Its funny that I let her raise kids for 14 years with no job, and now I make more than her without working and she can't stand the thought of her going to work with me at home taking it easy.

That'll be your toughest challenge.....dealing with the thought of being unemployed. The actual time off can be quite enjoyable if you have a plan.

Sorry to hear that. I am among the ranks of the jobless- been fishing like it's going out of style.

jrcll wrote:
yes , now you can fish during the week when its less crowded

All of this economic downturn and layoffs means more crowds during the week days. I see it around my local streams, more cars at the parking lots all through the week.
Not just saturdays anymore.

Slay , you won't mind the company , make a new friend or teach/learn something new.

I agree but sometimes its nice to get away from all the noise and get to ur favorite stream and catch a couple to relax ur day. Cause you never know that some people are. You start catching them and then all the people flock to you. Gets to me a little bit.

Back