new guy on codorus

N

notan641

Pretty new at fly fishing. And the codorus is a 5 minute drive for me. So could someone tell me what a good choice of fly and size would be to start catching fish the at the sawmill. I mean, what works well for you?

notan,

Here's your "easy" button for the day. First, let me say that this is the stream that I cut my teeth on and it can be tough most days. Keep your body profile low and move around slowly to keep from spooking the fish. As far as flies go, it's hard to beat a pheasant tail nymph, scud or green weenie. An adams works well, the sulfurs should start before too long and when it warms up a bit, especially through the summer you can't beat a caddis. Most of the time a size 16 will do the trick. If anything go smaller.

Enjoy,

Steve

Well I could put my line in a bucket O fish, and not catch any, so it wont be easy.
But I sure appreciate you pointing me in the write direction.
I have spent about 40 hrs on it late last fall and this spring, with not much to show.

I've fished the Codorus for years with both a 7 foot or 7 1/2, softer rod. This is a perfect stream for boots. The boots will cover 75% of most situlations and will prevent you from wading heavy. You'll be tempted to hop out of the car and bum rush the pools and riffle's, "don't". I try not to wade much. The high banks along the creek will make things extra difficult. Take your time and don't rush things. And bring a good hat or pith helmet, heavy bush beware!!

The Codorus is know for it's decent sulfur hatch too. Remember this is a tailwater, so even in the peak of Summer she runs cold. This will be a year of transition for the Codorus. Wether or not it improves or declines from the introduction of treated water is a big unknow. Never the less things will most likely be different. Fish this Gem as much as you can this year.

Lately the good old white crystalflash wooly bugger has been working for me there.

Hi Notan

Welcome

Codorus has some good hatches, so check the hatch charts and fish the hatches. I have a lot of luck with terrestrials, ants, beetles, the codorus is one of the best streams for my orange ant, they love it there, also caddies work well. I know Will and Maurice catch a lot of fish with nymphs, they'll have to tell you what nymphs they use.

PaulG

I thought about using a white bugger but figured an olive on cream clouser crayfish would do just as well.

Just for fun here a 2 pics from my last trip. You can see the bugger in the pics. They came out of the same hole no less.

l_d816474916d0409ab549fee5d4b09b87.jpg

l_8e64ea518f824ea481b461afece2680c.jpg

I get to fish the Codorus a few times a year - My starting fly is usually a #16 bead head flashback pheasant tail - unless something is hatching - for sulphers I usually had good luck with yellow body soft hackles. On a few occasions - I cleaned house with a green weenie.

Back