matching a nymph to dry size

C

cjfives

if a dry's in a 14, should your nymph pattern be in a 12, 14 or 16 to match it. i've been given three different answers - one size smaller, same size and one size bigger. What's the general rule?

CJfives,
I would say carry all three and let the fish dictate what there interested in.If I personally had to choose just one it would be the size 14 but i like to travel light these days,and adjust my needs according to where i'm going to fish.

tight lines,
Don

I don't believe there are any hard and fast rules about adult vs. nymph sizes. In general though, many tie emergers a little larger than the adult, since in imitates an insect hatching out of the nymph.

The link is to an entomology site, and no difference in size is expressed from the adult to the nymph or larva.

http://www.flyfishingentomology.com/PNW%20Mayflies.htm#Ephemeridae

I wouldn't stress about it. I usually capture some of the naturals on the stream and try imitate them anyway. What I find on the stream always trumps what I read in a book (or on the www). Good luck!

Attachments

• emerger.jpg
    emerger.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 1
Mo is right, there is no real connection.

They are going to be roughly the same size though. But what's the difference between a size 12 and a size 14 1X long?

Keep in mind that different hooks vary in sizes (length), especially between dry fly hooks and nymph hooks.

The general rule I heard is if it is a #14 dun the nymph is one size larger.

Back