illinois july fly fishing vacation

J

jersey_guy

we are trying to plan our summer vacation for this upcoming year. my inlaws are currently living in chicago so we are planning a vacation at a resort in illinios that offers fly fishing excursions. the name is eagle ridge which is in galena illinios. does anyone know how the fly fishing is this time of year in this part of the country? i dont know much about it. any other additional information would be helpful.

thanks mark

jg,
I have never fished in Il. I think Galena is in the northwest corner and this would be in, or approaching, the "driftless" region, which is noted for good stream trout fishing. I'd think there ought to be some good bass rivers in that area too.

Check their web site .

I've never fished there either, but have done some research and talked to folks while contemplating a trip there. The driftless region is mostly associated with Wisconsin, but in addition to SW Wisconsin it includes SE Minnesota, NE Iowa, and a small strip of NW Illinois. Compared to the rest of the midwest states, its fairly rugged, hills and forest, looking somewhat like some areas in PA.

Generally, its known for limestone spring creeks, much like the ones you find in Pennsylvania. Fish are similarly well fed and can be picky. Wild browns in the spring creeks and brookies in the headwaters.

BTW, called the driftless region because the last glacial period missed this area, i.e. no glacial drift, and the limestone bluffs and such are still in tact.

Fishidiot is right about the location being actually in the unglaciated or "Driftless" region. Very pretty area, especially for Illinois. Very hilly with lots of forests, etc.

But so far as i know, there are no trout streams in the region other than a couple of seasonal put-take fisheries like the Apple River.

The Galena River is nearby. It starts in WI where it is called the Fever River. It's supposed to be an excellent smallmouth fishery as are a number of the rivers (Grant, Platte, etc.) just across the line in WI. But there has been a lot of problems in these fisheries of late due to agricultural practices and sediment and nitrate loading.

Here is the only reference to fishing I can find on the resort site:

http://www.eagleridgeresortonline.com/ResortActivities/Boating/index.asp

One additional random thought. Galena is basically right across the Mississippi from Dubuque, IA. Dubuque sits at the southern end of Iowa's portion of the Driftless and from there west for about 70 miles and north to the Minnesota line, there are a lot of good trout streams, many with excellent wild brown trout fisheries.

The resort may be running trips over here as a flyfishing package.
If this is the case, by all means go. It's quite a fishery..

Here is an Iowa trout primer with maps, etc:

http://www.iowadnr.com/fish/fishing/trout/troutstr.html

I've been to Il. several times, there really aren't any trout streams there worth fishing after opening day. However, I've fished in SE MN and there is some good trout fishing there. I've also fished for trout in IA, one stream was fantastic.

Back