headbanger trout behavior

mcfinn

mcfinn

So, here's a trout behavior that made for a WTF!? moment the other day;
Was fishing a local crik w/ both holdovers and stockies. A small group of fish were holding a couple yards down from an armpit lie. In the eddie of this lie a rock about the size of a motorcycle helmet jutted out above the waterline, and this helmet-rock had small marble sized clumps of mating bugs (black caddis, i think about size 18) on it. A VERY aggressive brookie lept out of the water, hurled itself at the helmet-rock in order to have-at the bugs. I was gobsmacked. Fish did this 3 times. NEVER saw trout types perform this "headbanger" maneuver, and only saw bluegills leaping up after bugs in reeds before. Anyone else ever see this as well, or do i need to change my meds?

Nothing should surprise you regarding the relative stupidity of trout. I preach this often to the disdain of my fellow fly anglers.

Bug ,Bug, me want bug. Trout monster
As Jack said trout are stupid? and will do what is least expected. Did you catch him? GG

I've been known to behave like that for bacon.

preatty smart way of knocking flys into the water to eat in my book...

Hey, it's spring time. It's just joi de vivre, brookie style.

I once saw a wild rbookie of about 12 inches take a frog off of a bank. Nothing surprises me.

Did you ever see Nervous Water? There's a scene on the Socha river in Slovenia where this giant trout kept jumping clear out of the water to take fly bugs from mid-air. Dude hung his fly in the air over the trout and after a minute the fish cleared the water and took it.

Was fishing the Tuplehocken below Rebers bridge when the really large head and gaping mouth rose out of the water five feet in front of me and had at... my strike indicator. :)
Coughlin

I'm not much of a carp fisherman, but I have a feeling that crows and carp are on a another level. I once saw crows at a local quarry shaking/disturbing the mulberry trees and then flying down to the waters edge for a quick splash from the carp that were gathered there to eat the berries. Who knows what was really taking place. The one thing I know for sure, was that the crow could sit in the tree all day long and eat. And the carp didn't splash unless a crow was standing at the edge of the water.

JackM wrote:
Nothing should surprise you regarding the relative stupidity of trout. I preach this often to the disdain of my fellow fly anglers.

Attachments

• Forest.jpg
    Forest.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 3
Back