good reason for backing

L

LouM

I was fishing today and hooked a nice wild brown that took all of my line off of the reel down to the knot, if I didn't have a good line to reel knot I would have lost everything. I was able to turn him and land him. When I went to take the hook out it was only holding by a thin piece of skin. I will be putting some backing on tonight.

How big was the fish?

17" plus a nice healthy Saucon brown,also got another about 13"

That will teach ya old man. you should know better...

I suggest tightening the drag or palming the reel, or using heavier tippet.

...or lighter tippet. Unless you actually want to land it.

If a 17" brown took you to the end of everything, what would a 25" fish do?

I've caught trout up to 25" and some of them didn't run as fast or fight as hard. I was using a 3wt with 6x. The water was fast and he used it to his advantage. I caught a bow on the pohopoco that was 25" and he came in like a puppy dog on a leash. He had good color so he had been in the creek for a long time,so it depends on the fish.

Oh, you didn't say 3 wt with 6x.. that's a huge fish for that combo

LouM wrote:
I've caught trout up to 25" and some of them didn't run as fast or fight as hard. I was using a 3wt with 6x. The water was fast and he used it to his advantage. I caught a bow on the pohopoco that was 25" and he came in like a puppy dog on a leash. He had good color so he had been in the creek for a long time,so it depends on the fish.

Good to see you are out fishing. Any pics?

Everything was too light for the conditions.

Landed the fish=Not too awful light for conditions.

Not trying to argue, but I think some experienced guys handle lighter stuff better than the average guy with heavier gear.

That said. I most likely wouldn't have been able to do it.

Chaz: I've been fishing with a fly rod for for over 60 years, I think I I am capable of using a 3wt if thats what I prefer. Which was the case here. The fish was landed. The only problem was not putting backing on a new reel,which has been corrected.

I swear, the Saucon has some of the strongest fish I've come across. Nothing that's taken me into my backing, but I've had to pool hop to land a few.... then again, someone who's been fly fishing for 60 years might not be as nimble as myself:)

Lou
Where were you ,what fly were you using ,show me a picture of fly ,what kind of rod ,reel, line were you using ,were you wading ,what kind of waders were you wearing ,what size ,what color ,and anything else I may have forgotten to ask

dont forget to tell him the color of your underwear

HENRY,
YOUR ALIVE !!! Where ya been ?? Lou said you moved !!

PC problems for a while ,fixed now
Lou
Are you sure that wasn't a sucker you caught ,the Saucon is devoid of trout ,nothing but junk fish in there anymore

Now that you mentioned it I'll have to take a look in the freezer.

Back