gd nymphs

flipnfly

flipnfly

ok heres mine what do you guys use and what works on penns ill be needing all the help i can get so veterans are more than welcome to post thier gd nymph pics and patterns i found this on the web heres what mine turned out like after a substitution

Attachments

• gdnymph.jpg
    gdnymph.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 12
They've got a very long abdomen. What size hook is that? You'll want to use 3 or 4x long hooks, or go the wiggle nymph route.

its a size 10 3xl i probably should tie a few 8s too ill make the abdomen longer is the color ok?

The color looks good to me.

ok is this better

Attachments

• gd nymph2.jpg
    gd nymph2.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 2
Nice background.

i thought it was appropriate :) heres a golden stone i think it needs to be longer though no time for tweaks hafta run for work

Attachments

• gstone1.jpg
    gstone1.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 2
I have never thrown away a nymph, no matter how un-conventional it looked. Trout are not that discerning (IMO) underneath. That said, I would tie more like the second GD as the proportion between abdomen and thorax looks better. Also, on that one, I suggest a smaller bead or bring the thorax up so the back end of the bead is "buried" a bit in the fore-portion of the thorax.

For reference:
http://www.troutnut.com/fullsize/picture-im_extax/79

Call it crazy, but I like to make three segments on the abdomen before I add the gills. It seems like it's standard among all of the naturals.

I was always under the impression that gd nymphs had a lighter abdomen more of a amber/golden color than the standard gd blends produced commercially...and the nymphs from freestone streams were slightly longer with a slightly lighter thorax.

Incorrect??

Phil L

jayL wrote:
Call it crazy, but I like to make three segments on the abdomen before I add the gills. It seems like it's standard among all of the naturals.

I've noticed that too. If you tie in marabou by the tip (like the CDC and Elk body, Jay), the butt end is tight and you wrap your ribbing around it to get that exact effect.

I have some wiggle nymphs ready for action (amber yellow with a brownish thorax). Can't wait to try them out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li-ruygxyJ8&feature=related

I have a bunch of GD nymphs. The ones at the feathered hook are the ones that I always used.

I am pretty sure I am the Green Drake Virgin on PAFF. I fished out west with a western green drake nymph called a 20 incher...
It worked well in imitating a large nymph...I would imagine you could switch out the peacock for lighter colored dubbing. The tutorial is from Charlie Craven's Fly Box...a very good site for western flies...

http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox/details.cfm?parentID=28

All credit goes to Charlie's website on this one...a bit tricky but doable...

Boss

Maybe not entirely perfect, but this one works well for me. I just tie a little fluff of grey marabou in behind the wing case. Based on the nymphs I've collected the natural's abdomen is slightly darker on top and a little longer. Of course there's significant variation in the naturals...

EG

Attachments

• GreenDrakePatterns_ 005.jpg
    GreenDrakePatterns_ 005.jpg
    443.4 KB · Views: 2
  • EphemeraGuttulataNymph_03.jpg
    EphemeraGuttulataNymph_03.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 2
For stuff this small I just pull the tufts off the bottoms of large hackle...you know, the stuff you usually cut off and throw away. For longer gills like a Hex has, You can lay the fuzzy stem across the underside of the abdomen and secure each end as you would a wing case. Secure it in the back...dub under and pull over and secure behind thorax. Makes great nymph gills...just do half as long for a GD i guess. Might try that before next week if I get time.

you know i bet a piece of rubber band or even twisted antron kinda twisted like that sharks caddis woud do well on imitating the natural imma try it be back with pix

ok i really shouldnt even post this pic this fly is sloppy and ill be working on tweaking it but for entertainment purposes tell me what you think im sure i think the same if there are any ideas on how to make this flatter and not so round id like to know

Attachments

• rb gd.jpg
    rb gd.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 2
Take two smaller rubber bands, and twist them around dubbing for the gills. I don't think laying the feather on like that is going to be very durable.

Neat idea. Keep at it and you might stumble on something.

See the natural above... they are VERY long. I'd consider the wiggle nymph route.

Back