flies and their counterparts

sandfly

sandfly

Did you know that the Little marryatt in 16 is the fly for the male P.E.D. and the female is a pale watery dun 14, they are slightly different in color as well as size. So if you have refusals on your normal patterns you might want to try one of these patterns.

Male Subimago or Dun
Tails—one-quarter inch, greyish cream
Body—one-quarter inch, pale creamy yellow with a faint
orangish tinge Legs—pale yellowish grey Thorax—pale yellowish grey Eyes—large and dark
Wings—one-quarter inch, pale greyish

Female Subimago or Dun
Tails—one-quarter inch, yellowish white
Body—three-eighths inch, pale yellowish cream
Legs—pale yellowish cream
Thorax—pale yellowish cream
Eyes—small and greyish
Wings—three-eighths inch, very pale greyish

What species are you talking about?

Ephemerella Dorothia------pale evening dun

I never got that far into latinizing but isn't Ephemerlla Dorothea what we call Hendricksons? And out west they call them something else? Am i thinking about sulphers and PMD? Those patterns sound like Light Cahill or even Light Hendrickson?

Ephemerella Subvaria = hendrickson
Stenonema Canadense = Light Cahill

Speaking of hendricksons, the traditional catskill tie calls for using brown mallard flank for the wings. And most hendricksons that you see in fly shops have wings tied with it.
But I could never understand why. Hendrickson duns have gray wings - with no flecks.
I use gray turkey flat for the wings on mine

I use wood duck or the grey mallard flank i have a buddy that hunts with his dog "Woody" they get me more than i can use , i'm not a real fast tier but i get most of it to work. In your Catskill style do you use more than one hackle? I like those turkey flats for wing cases on nymphs they are tougher feathers than most , you can really get some mileage out of turkey feathers.

Osprey -

I tie hendricksons in size #14, and use 1 dun hackle. 1 turn behind the wing, and 3 or 4 turns in the front is plenty of hackle to float that size fly.

In schwieberts matching the hatch the dark hendrickson is used for the black quill and the light is used for the female hendrickson. of course the red quill is the male. I like the female in 12 and the red quill in 14.

Back