favorite nymph

bikerfish

bikerfish

just wondering what everyone's favorite nymph was? if you could only carry one for all waters, what would it be? no such and such for this creek, such and such for that creek, just one nymph.
mine? I'd have to go with a hares ear

BIG Hares Ear. Size 10 2xl. Loop dubbed thorax pulled out for legs. Deer hair tail. Turkey flat wingcase.

Or a white or olive caddis pupae. Scud hook, green or white body, black head pulled out for legs.

Nothing but hare's ear dubbing on a size 14 scud hook.

Peeking caddis...(hare's ear body, white dubbed head with herl legs). Its a good winter nymph too.

Soft hackle on a 12 or 10 2x with a mix dubbing of hares ear and squirrel tail.

BH hare's ear tied on a scud hook

tomgamber wrote:
Peeking caddis...(hare's ear body, white dubbed head with herl legs). Its a good winter nymph too.

I like this Tom I have both white fur scraps and herl scraps I've been wondering what to do with.

Olive Heifer Groomer

Edit: just realized it said NYMPH.

March Brown

I have 3.

BH Copper John w/ small rubber legs.

BH FB Hares Ear nymph

BWO nymph

Sal,

How do ya tie your BWO nymph?

Ill be honest and say that i havent tied to many of these and usually buy them.

However,

i have started doing these in the past year or so. I recently found this recipe and i like it alot. Scroll down to the bottom for the variation in olive. I also use a small BH on mine. Mine also dont look as pretty. I shake way too much :lol:

BWO nymph

Cool. That's similar to the way I do em. Mine also are not that nice. Thanks.

Beatis nymph.
Nothing psecial about it, just like it.

sz. 18
olive brown dubbing
olive partridge tail and legs
Turkey wing case

sparrow nymph. its a great fly.

Im kinda new to tying whats deal with coating the whole fly with head cement?

Alpabuck wrote:
Im kinda new to tying whats deal with coating the whole fly with head cement?

Do you have an example? I have not seen this? The pic of the one in the thread was wet. One may do this for durability but I would not.

The naturals have an exoskeleton. I'd imagine the head cement helps to imitate that, as well as increasing durability.

increades durability , the flash back rib is coated to stay protected on that nymph ,

Thanks fellas's Im gonna tie some of those they look good!

Back