cold

sandfly

sandfly

I miss florida, even if it was in the 60's...man the wind is blowin, lake effect snow, Brrrrrrrrr, wood burner is goin full tilt today..temp is 24 deg. wind chill around "0" I think. I think my birds are layin ice cubes...

Yeah, winter is here today. You guys get lake effect snow in Tioga County?

Winter is definitely here. Gonna be a rough one I do believe... Good thing I'm getting into tying to pass the time! :-D

I'm hold up here finishing a rod, then its on to christmas present fly tying. Then some flies for me.

yep, it's here. been a great fall though, can't complain too loud yet, though if it's still like this in march, well then..
just finished building my new tying and rod building table. 11 feet long, all the way across my office. 32 inches deep. PLENTY of room for everything I need to work on! was tired of stuff getting knocked off various desks, tables, etc. have to get some more stuff organized then it will be time to break it in!

Yep we get lake effect snow here. not as bad as some areas but we get it. Also get some from the western finger lakes too. It slows after the lakes freeze.
Tying for my shop and doing custom orders.

Speaking of cold and staying warm, anyone have any experience with those corn stoves and whether they like or dislike them.

Yesterday hot and humid-
today -cold and humid
you had a good week but its tough this late fall period.
I may have to turn the heat on.

I have heard good and bad things, I know they don't put out as much BTU's as wood or coal. I have a wood/coal and use both for fuel.

wait until tomorrow it is supposed to be colder

why I can remember a day so cold the automatic doors on the fire house were frozen shut and the grain silo burnt to the ground-but that was in Montana-lol

I feel your pain. We have had nights with the temp down to 26 below this past week. All is not bad though. There is nothing like a good, long soak at Chico Hot Springs when the temp is well below zero.

Here are a couple shots taken along the Yellowstone when the air temp was 20 below. You can see the river steaming in one and the second is a tree that was covered withe the frozen steam.

The good thing about the Stone is that after a coupe days of above freezing temps the river opens up and will be fishable again.

Attachments

• tree-steam-1.jpg
    tree-steam-1.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 4
  • river-steam-1.jpg
    river-steam-1.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 2
DGC wrote:
Speaking of cold and staying warm, anyone have any experience with those corn stoves and whether they like or dislike them.

Do you neighbors a favor and burn something other than corn. My next door neighbor is an engineer for Hartmann Stoves out of Halifax. He works from home, next door, testing and designing the systems for woodburners. One year he was burning corn and everyday it smelled like burnt popcorn at our house. One year he did the pellet thing, and now he is into coal. I am sure he has some scientific data to establish what is most efficient but I think the most important factor of maintaining your environmental temperature is comfort and that includes the effort and emmissions.

Yep,mummy bags are nice but you want to watch what you use for fuel.

I have track practice in this weather every day so I envy those of you who can spend all day inside, even in an office.

Winter took a chicken yesterday.

We had a fatality due to the cold just down the street from me the other night. A local was driving home from the Old Saloon when his rig ran off the road and into Big Creek. Big Creek is actually a small, jump across stream, but it was big enough that the man got wet in the accident.

The air temp was about 20 below, and the man froze to death trying to walk to his house. He was found the following morning about 200 feet from his house. Cold temps and getting wet do not mix!

Back