anyone hear of a ferrule rod

SNJChef

SNJChef

Was cleaning out my gear found an ferrule rite rod all fiberglass rod. Number 3826 7 and half foot rod in my gear. Anyone know anything about these? Still has a sticker on it saying. Fiberglass. Ferrule. Have pics will post later. Was my ex father in law who passed last year gave ma as a gift.

I've heard of Ferrule Rite rods, but that is about it. Anything I would know could easily be found with google.

Try sending a PM to Bikerfish just in case he doesn't see this thread. He knows a lot about vintage fiberglass rods.

Is it a "Feralite" rod?

turkey wrote:
Is it a "Feralite" rod?

Dear SNJ,

I'm thinking what turkey is thinking and you may have an older Fenwick rod. If it is medium brown in color with brown tipped with white wraps that is probably what you have. Pictures would help to confirm.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

I think you guys are correct, but in fairness to me, I only said I heard of it, and I didn't ask how it was spelled when I hear of it. ;-)

I did some nosing around and it seems that there was indeed a Ferrule Rite fiberglass rod but I can't find any real info on them...just expired ebay listings. The ones that came up were multi piece pack rods. I'd be interested in seeing one.

Does it look like this?
Found this picture online, but can not find any info on the rod maker

Attachments

• 271676d1302901902-trade-extras-ferrile-name-1.jpg
    271676d1302901902-trade-extras-ferrile-name-1.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 4
Here are some pictures. I can not find any info on this rod.

Attachments

• P9060184.JPG
    P9060184.JPG
    185.1 KB · Views: 3
  • P9060186.JPG
    P9060186.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 5
  • P9060187.JPG
    P9060187.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 3
Hope these help.

Attachments

• P9060188.JPG
    P9060188.JPG
    135.2 KB · Views: 4
At least you know what you have is rare! lol

If it fishes half as nice as it looks, well then I desire to have this rod.

The handle looks like a heddon or southbend. Ive have heard of them, but never saw one. Check with the guys on the fiberglass forum.

I have posted a question on the Fiberglass forum, in the collecting rod forum, mostly because he has got my curiosity up. No bites yet. I have also searched the archives there and can not find anything about it. The only picture I could find was the crappy one I pulled from the internet. I have to agree with sasquatch, If it fishes half as good as it looks, it is a keeper and now on my list as well.

Is that a Phillipson in your avatar, caveman?

bikerfish wrote:
The handle looks like a heddon or southbend. Ive have heard of them, but never saw one. Check with the guys on the fiberglass forum.

Those were my thoughts as well. I have a Heddon spinning rod with the identical color blank and the identical script writing.

Someone on the fiberglass forum will know for sure.

It definitely looks like a rod worth fishing though, unless of course you choose to keep it as a momento.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Sas,
The rod in my avatar is a custom made rod that was made by the Late Dave Lewis of Virginia. It is a 6' 6" 3-4 wt 3 pc rod and is the nicest short rod I have ever owned. I sold it back to its original owner last year. :( Dave's website can be seen online still at Performanceflyrods.com.

Sas,
I have since replaced it with a Hardy " The Stream" which is nice but I like the Lami better.

Crazy still can not find anything on it. Guess it really does not matter but I was curious. Will give it a shot on the stream and see how it fishes.

looks like a nice rod.i would like to see a picture of the reel seat.

From the info I can get from the guys on the Fiberglass forum it is a Heddon rod.

See here is a very similar rod by Heddon.

http://antiquerodandreels.com/mfg_h/heddon_8548_pop.html

Also the thread over there on the fiber forum

http://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=40611

It looks like what is known as a trade rod. Made by a manufacturer (Heddon) but sold under another name.

Back