You know what would be cool....... (next years swap) thinking ahead

littlelehigh

littlelehigh

Just a brain storm and since I enjoy tying I would like to do something to help out the TU chapters in Pa.

Here is my idea set a deadline for sign ups as we did this year.

Everyone describe or show a picture of there fly by a set date.

Anyone interested could find places to advertise the assortment of flies the purchaser would receive w/ price and along with an order deadline date. (We could also set a max order # state wide and once reached pull all advertisements if it is necessary???)

All proceeds would be divided as:

My sign up sheet get 10 people at $10.00 each = $100.00. My local TU gets a check for that amount. ( Maybe 1 person collects all funds and writes checks out to ecah specified TU chapter.

I know it would take a few more volunteers than what we had for swaps in the past but I think it is doable.

I know this is very rough outline I haven't thought of every aspect and it may take a while to brainstorm out. I'm just trying to see if anyone would be interested.
Any thoughts????

ok so lets see if I can get this right......

example:
get 20 tiers to tie 20 flies = 20 assorted fly packs

Advertise to sell them at lets say $10 a piece

Take the $200 in profits and donate that to TU.

So it's a fundraising opportunity, not a traditional swap right?

yes that is what I had in mind but it could be altered in anyway to suit the needs of all interested parties.

Example: Some don't agree with TU so they may choose a local conservatory to send there donations. Everyone who sells gets to choose how there % is dispersed and it doesn't have to limited religious organizations, conservatories, TU just to name a few.

I have a few thoughts about this (yes I got your PM)

First off, it should be set forth to donate this to a fishing specific organization as a whole. We don't need to get into debates on religion/nonprofit/etc on this site. That's for another time and place. Whether it's a local TU, buying vices for a new HS fly tying/fishing class, or any other example; this is a fly fishing board, if it goes to something, then we should support our sport.

I donate money to other things on my own, like my church. I invest my time there, and they need money to do the things necessary to keep the organization going. I think that this could maybe be a yearly activity. Lets say we pick a newly founded HS fly fishing group. We could be a yearly sponsor in buying materials, fly rods, send them flies, etc. Use this as a fundraiser, and maybe even put on a yearly event, or a website promoting this.

Could even take it as far as having an online website store, and if certain individuals want to tie lets say 12 #14 Adams and put them up for sale, then the profits could go towards the kids. Doesn't even have to be a yearly event. Could even take 10% of the profit and put it in a kiddie to lessen the cost of the Jam every year, and the rest go to the Kids. (all just speculative examples of course)

I am by no means that technical to set up a website and organize it to sell items, but someone here could input their ideas and thoughts.

I agree 100% and thank you for correcting me let's see if we can get some more interest

My friend is a teacher at Coatsville in Chester County. They have a fly fishing club. To boot the majority of the school district is low income.

Just a thought.

I'd support something like this. Why not allow PaFlyfish.com to get a small slice of the fundraising.

Fishidiot wrote:
I'd support something like this. Why not allow PaFlyfish.com to get a small slice of the fundraising.

Yes, like I said in the above post. Either to help with some of the upkeep and advertising of the site, or even lower the cost of people attending the JAM every year.

It would have to take a comittment by some of the regulars on the site though. I would say that you tie a group of flies of your choice, and then post a picture and price on the site. Then this will be up for sale and the proceeds can go towards a combo of an organization and paflyfish.com. The comittment would have to be having atleast a certain amount of flies on the site at one time. And also mailing them to the purchaser directly to keep the costs down. You would have to have some way of refunding mailing costs that way, maybe opening up a bank account to deposit the remaining funds after receiving payment from the buyer.... example: flies are $6 and $2 shipping... purchaser sends you a $8 check.... deposit $6 into paflyfish banking account at a common local bank, ex NationalCity and keep $2 for your shipping costs. Have a moderator or two of the bank account and allocate the money at the appropriate time to the correct place. Just thinking of more details... all of this is just speculation and brainstorming.

I like where this is going alot of great ideas. I think for starters let's give this thread a day or two until most members log in and contribute thoughts and ideas. I think in order for this to move forward we will need volunteers for such areas as finance (collecting all monies, we could set up a joint paypal account for all to view for transparency purposes) Shipping would have to be done from a central place. You tie flies of your choice ship them to a certain person and they mail all orders. Otherwise it will be Joe I got another email from frank looking for his order it's been 3 weeks. Yeah I'll get to it... and there goes our reputation. As far as a website that is the only thing I do not have the ability to do.

I like the sounds of it, count me in if it gets going. I also like the idea of helping the site out.

JH

just sending this to the top... anyone else have any input on this subject?

Back