Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Winter fishing

From Mount Joy, PA
The nice thing about limestoners in the winter is if you actually get in the water, it feels warm

Posted on: 2013/11/7 9:34

From Ephrata, PA
That's dangerous haha! I find myself fighting the urge to take a dunk.

Posted on: 2013/11/7 9:39

From Ephrata, PA
Quote:

dc410 wrote:
Quote:

The_Sasquatch wrote:
You and your giant chubs.

Big Fallfish Rock!

I can hear that thing crunking and making that squirting sound...nasty.

Posted on: 2013/11/7 9:40

From Coatesville, Pa
Winter is my favorite time of year to fish. Besides not having to deal with other people on the water, the fishing is pretty darn good. I love fishing midges and overall small patterns (do it all year) so its not a big transition for me. Focus most of your time on streams influenced by springs (limestoners etc). you do not have to be on the stream early or late. best times are when the day is at its warmest. Dress warm, but use your head (as someone mentioned, hard to fish looking like the Michelin man).

Another big thing to remember is that fish are much less active, so do not plan on covering all the water. just hit the likely holding areas, and plan on fishing them longer that you usually would. take spring creek for example, in areas that i cover hundreds of yards in spring/summer/fall, i will cover half if not less of the water. fish it very thoroughly and you will rewarded for your efforts.

moral of the story: dress smart, fish thoroughly, fish during warmest part of the day, spend all your time on certain streams, and last but not least, enjoy the scenery. it can be the best time of the year for fishing and you dont even have to catch a fish to realize it.

Posted on: 2013/11/7 10:54

It is interesting to see how different the streamside vegetation or lack thereof in the winter.

You can really tell where many springs come into streams-as those areas dont freeze or you can even see green vegetation surrounded by white.

I will fish in winter if not too cold- I'm not gonna fish any longer where my guides freeze up any longer, PITA.

It is usually pretty peaceful out, and that is nice.

Posted on: 2013/11/7 16:01

From United States
Giant Chub.....lol

Posted on: 2013/11/7 18:47
I am of the opinion that there is NOT one single population of wild trout that exists in our great state worth intentionally degrading for the benefit of any fisherman or any amount of money no matter how small the population.

From Hunker
If you happen to really get into winter fishing, I would recommend a book about it called Fishing the Four Seasons by Dave Houghes. He typically is a western fisherman, but the same techniques and patterns can be applied here on eastern streams. However in my experience, I typically nymph and look for deeper water where the fish seem to hold up. It doesn't hurt to throw something really big or really small either, and tandem nymph rigs are a good technique too. I usually have success with streamers too fishing them up stream and bottom bouncing them in long pools, and undercuts by the banks. Only streamer that I really use is buggers and sculpin patterns, although if your targeting brown trout, I hear the black ghost is a top producer for them in the winter. Midge hatches are fairly common on days that are 45 degrees and up, so it wouldn't hurt to carry a few black, olive, gray, and cream midge drys on you. Alot of midge larva are red, and many of my stomach samplings from trout in the winter show that they really do feed on alot of larvae. A great midge larva pattern is just red thread tied around a size 14-24 hook. Good luck

Posted on: 2013/11/7 19:46
"Ours is the grandest sport. It is an intriguing battle of wits between an angler and a trout; and in addition to appreciating the tradition and grace of the game, we play it in the magnificent out-of-doors."
~ Ernest G. Schwiebert, Jr.

From SE Pa
Quote:

The_Sasquatch wrote:
You and your giant chubs

Big Fallfish Rock!

+1 on that ..... a native American !

Posted on: 2013/11/7 19:55

From Hunker
+1 midge22

Posted on: 2013/11/8 0:36
"Ours is the grandest sport. It is an intriguing battle of wits between an angler and a trout; and in addition to appreciating the tradition and grace of the game, we play it in the magnificent out-of-doors."
~ Ernest G. Schwiebert, Jr.

From Coatesville, Pa
Also i forgot to mention, Bright an extra set of clothes. In the case that you take a dive/fall and end up swimming/getting wet, an extra set of clothes can save the day or your life. Another thing to keep in your mind is to try to fish somewhat closer to your vehicle, or just make sure someone is with you in the case of an emergency.

Posted on: 2013/11/8 9:43

From Portage, PA
Trike PM me you email address, I did a powerpoint and fly tying presentation on winter fly fishing I can send you. It is not a super long read, but got pretty decent review from the guys attending.

Posted on: 2013/11/13 11:43

From Couldn't Care Less
Last year was my first winter fishing and I loved it as long as there was lil to no wind. I prefer 25 degrees+ and there is just something really relaxing to me about snow on the ground, the crisp fresh air of winter and the sound of a stream basically to myself. With the trials and tribulations of everyday life …. fish caught was almost secondary.

Posted on: 2013/11/13 15:45

From Couldn't Care Less
Quote:
mutzinbaugh wrote:

something else to do in the winter time is fish for suckers. I guess they are like fat chicks....you know the rest.

Do you drink heavily b4 you go for the hunt?

Posted on: 2013/11/13 15:47

From Portage, PA
I agree Stagger Lee. It is just you, the stream, and the fish. you don't hear birds or anything. I love it and is pretty much when all of my fishing is done. My season ends when the opener begins pretty much. I am a nut and go out when it is ridiculously cold. As long as the water is open, I will go out.

I found last year I have just as much sucesss on larger nymphs 10-6 as I do the small stuff. Many trout last year were caught on size 8 stonefly patterns of squirrel and rabbit dubbing. The fights are not as intense, and I try to get them to the net as quick as I can. Coldest temps I went out in were 15 degrees with a real feel of -2. Gotta love it. I don't even deer hunt in those kinds of temperatures, but ill go out and stand in a creek. LOL go figure.

Posted on: 2013/11/13 16:25

From Portage, PA
I do however, want to pay more attention to the actual water temperature and see if there is a threshold where I catch more fish or not. A guy at the presentation had asked if I knew this and I did not ever take this into account. I will be doing that research this year and relay it to you. He told me that from what he found water temps less than 38 degrees, do not produce as much action for him. Interesting thought.

Posted on: 2013/11/13 16:27

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com