Wild trout on 1/21

NJAngler

NJAngler

Caught these wild trout -albeit small - on beadhead nymphs today. Water was 36F and air temp was 25F :-o Still, not bad. Once you start walking around and catching trout, you warm up rather quickly. Here are some pics:

Whats that temperature?

IMG_6499.jpg

Ice, ice baby:
IMG_6498.jpg

A nice 9"native brookie:
IMG_6501.jpg

Some wild bows:
IMG_6493.jpg

IMG_6492.jpg

Mark

Hey NJ those were some nice pics is that stream in NJ or Pa and what is its name, just curious. I have noticed for me this winter which is my first fly fishing, the the colder the better. I have caught alot more fish when it was cold and mini icebergs were floating by me . Has anyone else had this kind of luck this winter?

Thanks, Fredrick

Fredrick,

My favorite waters have all been too high when I've gotten the chance to fish them. I know that last winter was 'warmer the better' but you could be on to something for this year.

Nice fish and good pics by the way.

NJ,
Great photos! I've been winter fishing for many years and my experience is that trends of warming weather are almost always better for catching trout. Of course you never know and I too have had some good days on icy, very cold creeks. I think that many of the warmer days in winter see high, cloudy water while cold days are often clear and sometimes this makes for good fishing. Also, I think that wild brookies are much more active in very cold water than browns or 'bows.

NJ,

Could you tell us about your nymphing techniques on these small, clear streams? Do you use strike indicators? Do you stand beside a run and highstick (the way most people fish nymphs) or do you fish straight upstream?

On larger streams like Penns Creek, most flyfishers, including me, usually get beside a nice run, cast up and across, then follow the drift keeping the rod tip high (high sticking).

But on these small clear streams it seems to me that when I try this I'm often spooking the fish. Any tips?

Also, kudos for going out when its that cold. I fish in the winter but only during mild spells (either the weather's or my own, heh, heh.)

Technique is basically stay low & always cast upstream. When the water is that clear, you have to stay low - even crawl - to get close to the fish. Also wear colors that blend in with your surroundings and always wear polarized sunglasses to see whats below the waterline such as water depth and possible trout lies.

No indicators on small streams. I think they just spook trout.

Many of my casts are not even casts. I simply pendulum the fly into a likely lie and wait for a tug. Most "casts" are less than 8-10' away.

The stream was in NJ. Its in our Wild Trout Stream program(open year round;ALO;limited harvest).

Mark

Thats actually Toms Creek C&R section in Pike Cty

Back