Wild bows in the bushkill?

F

fisherboy3

Fished a trip the other day with orvis guide Ben Turpin. I say what an awesome trip started out catching little fish left and right. Pulled up 2 really nice browns withiin a matter of 4 casts in the same riffle. But somethin caught my eye on one fish. Caught a little bow about 5 inches and ben said to me there's no way they stock bows that small. I checked the pa fish and game website and no luck on a fingerling stocking there. Any thoughts?

Which Bush Kill? The one in Easton probably has wild bows, but not many, the problem is that the stream is heavily stocked and is a Class A and or Class B stream. There have been a lot of brookies there the last several years too and there are several year class, but I never caught any that I'd call YOY, so I can't say for sure they are not stocked.
There are a couple of clubs that stock the Bush Kill, and the clubs generally have nicer looking fish, and they aren't real careful about not stocking fingerlings.
If you are talking about the other Bushkills, I can't say, never fished them.

I would say yes. There are wild bows the bushkill ( In North Hampton co.) . I checked my GIS wild trout map online and bushkill is marked for havin them. I'm not rulling out a "wild cat" stockin form a club or private land owner. I've ran into alot o them this yr for some reason.

Now as far as the biomass per ? I don't know but I now the classification reqirements for the streams are lower for rainbows than for instance brown or brooks.

Any picsd of the little guy? I caught 2 bwild bows last weekend. They are as pretty as wild brooks. And fight alittle different too.

I mean I caught bigger bows up by herco dye factory, but idk what this spot was called. It was on a pheasnt tail nymph undernearh an old train trestle by some quad trails. I was almost for sure it was wild, just wanted an input by other flyfishers.I'm gonna try to upload that pic but I hae to find it.

Yes but which Bush Kill? There are three of them.

He's talking in Easton. Ben guides it often & its the only one with good temps now. I also know this spot. Its class A in fact from tatamy to Easton all meets class A. This area is actually under 4 sections, 2 are wild browns class A & 2 are stocked. There could be a few wild bows its limestone buffered & I've caught many holdover bows in winter there.

We find extremely low densities of rainbow fingerlings in many stocked waters. When I say low densities I mean perhaps one or two fish here and there, but none at most sampling sites. To catch a wild rainbow fingerling from these waters would be a rare event; to find them with an electrofisher is still an unusual event for each water, but not totally unexpected.

Yepo he hit it right on the nail. That stream or part of the steam is fishing very well due to the low water temps. The little guy was maybe 5 inches? He had bigger fins too

It seems like this is happening alot more than is written about or even talked about , on three streams that i fish that have always been known for their native brook and wild brown populations , all of a sudden these little wild looking rainbows are showing up and as yet , after asking numerous people who should have the answer , no one can say for sure where they are coming from. Honestly , on all three streams the state has stocked rainbows , along with brown and brook trout for decades , however , the native brook and wild browns are pretty easily identified just by the look of them , the size , the coloration and fins , all make it fairly easy to say one way or another , stocked or wild/native , maybe it's because we are not used to seeing them , small wild looking rainbows. At first i was a little concerned , these streams are great little producers of wild if not native brook trout and wild browns , if rainbows start reproducing here it might damage the other populations by becoming the dominant species , upsetting a stable eco system that has existed for a long time , after three years of catching these little wonders though i don't see anything changed other than the fact that there are now what appear to be wild rainbows TOO.

I fished there many times and never caught a wild bow. I am not saying they aren't in there, I just don't think it is that common.

I know there are a ton of stocked bows from the dam down to the 13th street bridge. Above that dam is mostly wild brownies from my experience.

CLSports wrote:
I fished there many times and never caught a wild bow. I am not saying they aren't in there, I just don't think it is that common.

I know there are a ton of stocked bows from the dam down to the 13th street bridge. Above that dam is mostly wild brownies from my experience.

There are stocked bows even down well below 13th street, that area also has a good population of wild browns. I don't by any means think there are a large # of wild bows, if they are indeed there at all. I think its a possibility given that it maintains good water quality and an excellent pH that would allow for some success from any holdover bows that spawned. Wild browns are the dominant fish in Bushkill Creek, at any given time there will be more wild browns in the Bushkill than even all the stocked trout.

With the fact that the majority of PFBCs stocking is now madeup of 'bows and wild looking 'bows have been showing up in some catches that at least some officials have an opinion there may be limited reproduction in some new streams.

I'm going to shoot an email to the local WCO to find out if there was an unscheduled bonus stocking or something else that might explain what he was catching with Ben.

Looks like good news...

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/images/reports/2010bio/5x08_09bush.htm

...but there is no mention of wild rainbow trout.

There is also no mention of the brook trout, I find that rather curious. I've been fishing the Bush Kill for many years and have always caught a few wild looking bows there. Some of them are pretty amazing, but I've never caught anything small, that tells me they are probably holdovers, but...

Osprey,
I'm a betting man and I'll bet they are there because of the fish brought in from NC for stocking. It's actually very convincing evidence, that it's been happening since they start buying those fish. I'll also bet that they disappear in the near term because they aren't buying those fish any more.

Chaz - your last two posts are ridiculous.

Drink another!

Chaz wrote:
There is also no mention of the brook trout, I find that rather curious. I've been fishing the Bush Kill for many years and have always caught a few wild looking bows there. Some of them are pretty amazing, but I've never caught anything small, that tells me they are probably holdovers, but...

There's no mention of brook trout likely because they didn't catch any. I know exactly where they did the survey (I participated in it in 2008.) It's in the upper portion of the C&R section and this gentlemen caught the 'bows in the lower portion of the C&R section, below the dam that's in the middle of the C&R section. Anyway, the area that was surveyed is "contained" within two dams & is not stocked however the lower part of the same C&R section though not stocked is still accessible to stocked fish from the stocke area that begins on the downstream side of the 13th street bridge. When they did they survey in 2008, there was only 1 or 2 brookies found and they were beuatiful fish but definitely holdovers and not wild. They also got maybe 2 holdover rainbows. Both the brookies and rainbows they got likely washed over the dam that serves as the upper boundary for the C&R section. Now the very upper sections & headwaters of the Bushkill(for reference, upstream of Jacobsburg Park) do have a documented wild brookie population. These were found during work for the upper section's coldwater conservation plan. This is in the freestone portion of the stream which is many miles from the more well-known and accessible limestone section.

ryan good post...ps those dams are ridiculous and should all be removed, the bushkill has like 7 of them...none serve any purpose whatsoever besides to restrict migration and movement of fish, and of course to concentrate anglers at those dams...

cmkrachen wrote:
ryan good post...ps those dams are ridiculous and should all be removed, the bushkill has like 7 of them...none serve any purpose whatsoever besides to restrict migration and movement of fish, and of course to concentrate anglers at those dams...

Being worked on my friend, being worked on. It's been the # one thing I want to see accomplished on the stream since I joined the chapter 5 years ago. We've been working together with the Bushkill Stream Conservancy and the city of Easton (they own two and would like them gone). Unfortunately we got turned down this year in our effort to secure funding grants through NOAA to begin the feasibility studies, etc. We're regrouping for another effort. A 3rd dam is also likely to be removed (probably sooner) because the current private owner really wants it gone. Slowly but surely we'll get there (dam removal processes can take 4-7 yrs beleive it or not.)

2 sticks of dynamite and a match, i'll get rid of them tomorrow if they dont send me to jail...

cmkrachen wrote:
2 sticks of dynamite and a match, i'll get rid of them tomorrow if they dont send me to jail...

I said that once at a meeting and I think some people really believed I'd do it- which is only half-true ;-)

Back