Why is your favorite fly your favorite?

mkile

mkile

Is your favorite fly, your favorite because its a great imitation or because you have a lot of confidence in it?

Aside from matching a big hatch, my favorite fly is based on my confidence in the fly. I have always been a fan of the Royal Wolfe. Its the first fly I try every trip all year. I have a friend that is the same way with an adams. I guess we follow the idea that many attracters in multiple sizes will work almost any day.

I never had a favorite fly but plenty that were my favorite at the time because they were working.I was fickle that way.
Since I tied my own they were usually indescribable anyway-lol.

Last year it happened to be a loop-wing CDC sulfur/cahill dry/emerger. Prior to that it was probably an elk hair caddis-- before I started wearing my prescriptions onstream.

The sulfur/cahill was a matter of success and hence confidence; the caddis because I could actually see it.

Closest to a favorite would be a zebra midge. Being new to fly fishing, I'm not much of an entomologist. Not exactly sure when to use it. But, anytime the water isn't murky, I have success. So I would say confidence.

I went on a trip a while back. I was lucky enough to squeeze in a few days fishing. So of course, I hit a fly shop and picked up some local patterns. When I got home, I tried to tye them... some from examples and some from memory. Well, one I messed up ended up being called the "Cabin Adams". It worked well for me, at least as well as a regular adams. So it became a favorite.

Odd as it may sound, mine is the Leadwing Coachman, thus my user name. I was new to fly fishing, and just by dumb luck happened to tie one on just before an incredible caddis hatch on Slippery Rock Creek. Caught more trout that time than any time since. Plus they're easy to tie!

My favorite changes every year.

But, my overall favorite is my stonefly nymph - it's awesome, has unmistakeable takes, is faily durable, and is fairly realistic.

This is one I don't mind sharing - in person.

It is a toss up over a couple. I have a midge emerger that I tie that is a big producer! I also like a zebra midge. These are mainly my go to flys when I am experiencing a lull. If caddis are hatching that is what I am using. Same goes for any other bug activity.

For me, it's a PT. It's the one fly I can consistently tie at professional quality and it always works. I'm always confident with it.

Mine is hands down my Olive Mix Minnow pattern. Its nothing more than a shenks minnow with different colors that I came up with based upon a creek chub that I caught out of Falling Springs and had a big brown take a swipe at it. The fly is my go to fly in almost all situations if nothing else is working in pretty much any creek, but falling springs is the only place that I've seen a creek chub that looked like the ones I caught. I've also caught more 20+" trout on it than anything else.

The friggin green weenie......... Just cause of the name, weenie...........

I am going to do a Dry , nymph and streamer.

Now if I am fishing

1. Para Adams- Dry Fly
2. A fuzzy Hare's Ear. -
3. Zoo Cougar

I also like the Royal Wulff
Produces fish
Floats well even in fast water
Highly visible, even when it starts to get dark

Steve98

generic emerger march brown ????

yellow dubbing body with a few wraps of orange for a thorax, then some soft hackles

wicked wicked little fly that cannot be fished wrong.......I have caught pigs from Pine Creek to Penns Creek to the Manatawny using this fly

sometimes it is best fished as lazy as can be............let your line swing and hang in front you.........every now and then twitch it........some very hard strikes should occur!!!!!!!

Why is it my favorite.
I created it and it has consistently caught me fish over the last 10 years, from PA to Ontario.
I have confidence in it.

Its a close one between the hopper and the beetle. One of the first reasons I like them is I can use any size tippet and get virtually no line twist.The beetles seem to work best on the canopy covered streams.
And like Ship, one day walking along Falling springs I kicked up some hoppers and watched a very large trout come up and whack them when some hit the water. The trick there is to get it to them without being spotted, which is no easy trick.
Anyone waiting on a pm from me please check.

2bones,

Could you post a picture of that fly or the recipe? It sounds intriguing!

2bonthewater, any pictures of that fly. Would be interested in trying to whip that one up.

thanks,
mkile

i love tossing grass hopper patterns in the summer.

There easy to see, a good imitation, the strikes are exciting, and they produce well.

My favorite fly is what ever is hatching at the moment.
That said, I've probably caught more fish on a #20 BWO than anything else. Probably because they hatch in spring, then again in fall.

Back