White/cream midges

bigjohn58

bigjohn58

What color are the pupa and larva of the white/cream midges that are hatching now?

I wouldn't venture a guess, in part because I don't look for those midges or their larvae, and in part we don't get a lot of them on the streams I fish. Depending on the size I'd use an Al's Rat of the typical pattern, but in the size of the dry.

We are getting and have been getting a lot of them on Fishing Creek lately even though the fishing has been terrible because of the low water conditions. Last several trip they were about the only fly on the water and in some areas very thick and a few trout were raising to them but the water conditions are just too rough now.

John,

There were tons of cream midges on the Little J yesterday and rising fish. I caught a few fish with a #16 cream parachute style fly. I don't know if there was a fly like this ecently that the fish remembered or maybe they just thought it was a big midge.

The actual midge dry fly I have no problem matching...its the larva/pupa I'd like to try to immitate correctly. The fish gota be feeding on them because they are about the only fly active now except for a few blue quills and caddis.

just about any colored larva, they can change every 100 feet or so, depending on water density, minerals/polution,temp, or bottom structure..

Back