Where to go and what to do?!

F

FLAflyfish

Hey wats up everyone!
I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice and guidance on Pennsylvania fly-fishing. I go to school at the University of Pensylvania, and am trying to see what PA has to offer. I have been fishing out west for over ten years (Colorado, Wyoming, Montana) and have a background in saltwater naturally livin in florida! I am really intersted in gettin a line in the water, so let me know if you can help me out with anything about where to go and any unique qualities of PA water! Thanks

Student at Penn? Ivy? Not being facitious (sic) but it would be in your best interest to read all you can and do your own home work. It's all right here, all you gotta do is read. Welcome to the show, and please don't waste your opportunity at a world class education. if only

Thanks for the advice and with ALLL do respect I get enough of that from the parents... The stigma of an IVY league education and workload, although it is tough, gets blown out of proportion to say the least. After the studying, athletic practices, and other stereotypical college behaviors, yes, there is time to do a little exploration and who knows maybe FLY-FISHING. So if anyone could pleaseee stear me in the right direction about that it would be greatly appreciated! and yes, reading and studying up on the waters is great but nothing can compare to real-life fisherman to fisherman adive!

Okay Fla, I'm taking your word on this, so here goes. get out of Philly on the Pa turn pike west. Get off any where between Harrisburg and Youngwood. Go north and look for any streem that holds water after July fourth. Temp the water, If it's less than 80 degrees it's an even bet that there are trout some where in that stream........Look up the PA hatch charts available on a google search. ..... I would actually not count on always matching the hatch.... some of the most famous streams and rivers can be notoriously fickle during the major hatches. Be prepared to change and improvise. When all else fails, you can't go wrong with an adams, an ant, cricket, foam beatle,hares ear. Now good luck, study hard (what is your sport and major) and go fishing.

I am a freshman in Wharton, so major is still undecided. I also play on the football team.. The other day I went with a couple buddies (who are out-of-towners too) to Riddley creek I believe? It was nice, a little hustle bustle for me, but some nice water.. I caught one with a midge, and one on dry(which was great!) It seems like the stretch I hit gets fished fairly often, is there a better river/stream I should try out?

Welcome aboard. This site is the best source of info for FF in PA. The closest Fly shop to you is TCO in Bryn Mawr. They can give you info about the area and hatches, and set you up with the proper tackle and flies. Good luck.

http://www.tcoflyfishing.com/#

If you come on a Fly fishing site, and ask everyone to tell you where to go in such general terms, you might not like the answer unless you are a troll. It's not that we are exceptionally rude, it is just that FFing is not the same as going to the mall or looking for shortcust in a nintendo game.

My first answer would be the obvious one.

My second answer would be go to a local pond and fish for bass and bluegill (and I'm serious).

You might also consider bluefish or stripers, too.

There is also some great Pickerel fishing in Warton state park (NJ).

Assuming you are looking just for trout, this would be my advice. Check out the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission (click on links at the top right of this page to find a link). They have all kinds of info. Every "approved" trout stream in the state is in there. "Approved" means it is stocked. You can also find special regulations streams. FF only, Delayed Harvest, all kinds. There is also a list of class A streams by county. Class A are the best of the streams with natural reproduction. Finally, there is a comprehensive list of streams with natural reproduction. I'll assume you can at least surf that site on your own.

Yeah, PA has several thousand trout streams. I'll offer is the following picture, this is the number of wild trout streams in PA, per county. Notice that this is number, not quality. SC PA is underepresented, that is, it does not have a great number of trout streams but many of the ones that are there are high quality.

You can find some decent streams, like Ridley, in the greater Philly area. There's even a good wild trout stream or two. To get into real trout country, get out of the SE corner and into the Pocono's, SC limestone belt, or central PA limestoners....

In the Site Menu, there is a map showing all the special regulation trout waters...might help you find something close.

Transfer to Penn State, better fishing, better partys and cheaper, better looking women too.

Hey FLAFLYFISH give valley creeek a try . It is in valley forge park.It has wild fish and is prob the best stream in southeast pa.If your looking for a little ride try the little leigh or the tully . Both preety good streams. I live in ridley and try to avoid ridley creek at all possible.

From Philly the Delaware would be a good day trip, it's floatable like many western streams , or get on the turnpike and GO WEST YOUNG MAN..........a DeLorme gazeteer of Pa. and a Higbee stream map would be good investments , cheap too , cross reference them with the approved waters list you get with your license GOOD LUCK.

You can striper fish close to Philly.

If it were me I would fish the skuke or the delaware and focus on Smallmouth bass. Trout season will be winding down come June and you are right smack in the middle of some really nice SMB spots with relatively easy access.

the fa fish commission site has an excellent map with break downs of stream types, special regs are, approved trout waters, class a...etc. i would get on there and look at your county and start driving

Back