When your (now) favorite fly shop................lifts you up!

• Thread starter salvelinusfontinalis
  • Start date
salvelinusfontinalis

salvelinusfontinalis

I made a thread about a shout out to a great fly shop. I want to tell the story again with a now amazing update.

I had been searching for a particular fiberglass fly rod for awhile. Both a necessity for a trip to WV and also a curiosity. I saw on Bob Selb's website he had this rod for sale, a Fenwick FF535 in mint, I promptly called him and set up a time to meet.

I took 3 vintage orvis graphites with me. 1 9'6" 8wt Rivermaster, 1 9'6" 8wt 1st generation orvis graphite and a 9'3" 5wt Springcreek (all 3 in mint). Bob traded with me but didn't give me what I knew they were worth because he was a afraid he would hold on to the forever before they would sell based on length, pcs and weight. I was still happy because I now dislike graphite, don't use them, and was getting the rod I was searching for.

Anyways, upon searching in his shop, I saw he had a 6'8" Vince Cummings fiberglass. I marked that one in my head. I'm a huge Vince Cummings fan. After my trip I sent Bob an email telling him I loved the FF535 and asked about the Cummings rod.

Today I got an email back asking for my address and phone number. I figured he wanted to add me to a mailing list, which I'm fine with because he has some fine vintage tackle. He then calls me an explains that he sold all 3 of those orvis rods very quickly and got more than he thought he would. He wants to keep me happy, feels guilty and to be fair is just mailing me the Cummings Rod, for nothing! I tried to tell him it's ok, but he wasn't having it and I didn't argue too much ;-)

I have never met a fly shop owner so fair and that will go above and beyond for his customers. I now know, the writing is on the wall. I won't go anywhere else! I can't express how grateful Iam for a fly shop with a guy like Bob in my area.
http://www.classicflyfisherman.com/
I would call and ask about something you are looking for, he might have it and it might not be on his site.

I'm still in shock. What an amazing gesture and guy. No where else, ever again will I go!

Wow, very impressive, what's his shop's name?

Robert R. Selb
Classic Fly Fisherman
222 S. Broad St.
Lansdale, PA 19446

Toll Free 1-866-930-3667 or 215-412-3667

E-mail Classicflyfishermanrrs@gmail.com

Nice story. Sounds like a great place to buy.

Does he have a website, I can't find it.

http://www.classicflyfisherman.com/

Another fan of Bob Selb. He is knowledgable and very fair both to sellers and buyers. I've dealt with vintage tackle dealers all over the world for decades, and Bob outclasses them all.

Didn't realize it was the shop in Lansdale until I followed your link and saw the address. I've been by several times but never seem to catch him open.

Good to see a posting that reflects a positive experience.

We all too often get worked up and vent over poor experiences, forgetting that we should share positives as well.

Thanks for the posting.

Franklin,

I would try calling. I'm sure he would open his doors for you.

I have a similar story about Blue Ribbon Flies in West Yellowstone MT .My first time out west , i read the board outside , walk up to the fly bins and fill 2 cups up probally $60 of flies . I was excited and didnt wanna be without . I walked up to the register and handed , Jackie the flies , she then asked where i was going today ? I told her the Lamar . She came from behind the counter and put all but 10 flies back and she explained thats all i would need . She was right and ive been going there the last 10 trips out west .

Almost bought one of those spring creeks a while back. Got robbed out of it. They're sweet rods

That they are. At one time I owned 5 of them. Personally my favorite 5wt graphite ever built.
Fiberglass as taken over my life though, simply the reason I no longer use them.
Sweet stick for sure!

I received the Cummings Rod this morning and plan on using it with my daughter this weekend on her favorite brookie stream.
Today was a horrible day that ended a very stressful week as I had to go to court to deal with something terrible that happened to my family. It brought a single bright spot to see the rod arrive today and see this true beauty.
I was sure to let Bob know it lifted my spirits on the day I needed it most, him and I had discussed my situation. It's hard not to like the guy, he told me some personal things so I shared my story with him.
It IS good to know in a world filled with deep negativity that people like Bob are out there.

I really can't say enough about the whole thing but Iam deeply grateful. I intend to keep that feeling going.

Bob is great to deal with. Customer oriented for sure. I just bought a Peerless pillared reel from him for my bamboo rods. Great experience.

Ron

I echo everyone's comments about Bob Selb's shop and Blue Ribbon Flies. Bob has sold a rod for me and I also own one of their rod carriers. Blue Ribbon Flies is as good as it gets! Bucky has endless patience with me. Good folks..........

Back