When is it appropriate to fish? or not?

TimRobinsin

TimRobinsin

this is because some people have good advice on here that is disguised under another topic.

temp, flow, time of day, where, with what...

hit me with your best advice on how to know when to give the troutses a break...

I'm serious! I haven't been fishing that long so I would like to gain some insight.

If the water temperature is above the comfort range for the fish you're seeking, its inappropriate.

If the water is cold in the morning, but rises to near lethal or lethal temps in the day, its inappropriate.

If the main stem of the water is too hot, and the fish seek refuge in the place where a cold trib flows in, its inappropriate.

One way will certainly kill them via stress from enviroment and then being hooked and played, no matter how gentle you try to be. The other way is not only potentially more lethal, but its unsporting. THey're all stacked up there because if they chose to go elsewhere, they die.

Do a poll on the board the night before and ask :pint:

removed

+1 on Gary being 100% correct. And +1 on jdaddy's points about your going there under full knowledge of it being selfish and detrimental to the fishery. Jdaddy does a TON of work to help keep that fishery going, and his frustration is justified.

I've fished thermal refuges before. I don't feel good about it, but it happens. Recognize that you were wrong, thank those who corrected you, and pay it forward by telling it like it is to others in the future.

so when do temperatures and conditions make it sporting gary? be specific. I really am interested in when you think it's sporting to fish for trout.

When daytime water temperatures drop below 70 degrees and stay there for a few days in a row.

It's not complicated.

I don't want to derail the thread, but this brought up something I was just reading about Friday night. I read the Pine Creek Fisheries Management plan, and there was discussion about closing certain sections of the stream, at the mouth of tribs, where trout stack up to seek thermal refuge.

Are we talking about stocked fish, wild fish, or any fish?

BAS, I would think it would pertain to all fish. I mean, seriously, how are you going to be able to choose from stocked or wild?

jayL,

thats very helpful.

I thought when the temps. flirt with 70* it's still ok to fish. just be sure to take extra time reviving and don't fish during the heat of the day.

thank you

The attached chart is a PERFECT example in my opinion, in this case August 8th. This is the date the cold water pocket ran out of Blue Marsh. It was bobbing into the very low 70's for weeks, then at the expiration of the cold water pocket it surges and does not drop at night.

Attachments

• breakingpoint.jpg
    breakingpoint.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 1
Here's 90 day that shows two breaking points. First is the natural breaking point at the end of June where the water coming out top release of the dam is around 71 for 3 consecutive days. This triggers the bottom gate cold water release and is where you see the sudden drop (they have to dial it in to get the mix right). This lasts until August 8th where we see the second breaking point which can't be corrected due to the lack of cold water in the lake.

Attachments

• 90.jpg
    90.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 2
TimRobinsin wrote:
so when do temperatures and conditions make it sporting gary? be specific. I really am interested in when you think it's sporting to fish for trout.

jayl answered the temperature part, as for conditions, when the fish aren't stacked up in the only spot they can go to keep from dying.

its one thing to fish a stream looking for holding lies, its quite another to goto the one spot the fish HAS to retreat to in order to live. they don't go there because they like the company or the scenery, they go there because to leave it would be to die.

do you understand that simple logic? if not, then how can i make you understand it? if so, then you're fully aware of how unsporting it is.

are you naive or ignorant?

jdaddy wrote:
Last I would suggest this thread from PAFF.
Mortality Discussion

i notice you get the linking right when its all about your self-righteousness. you are a jerkstore!

As I mentioned elsewhere, critical to the trout's health is water temperature both at the time you are fishing and the 24 hours before and after. If you catch trout in 68 degree water at 06:00 hours and yesterday at 16:00 water temperatures were peaking at 75 or they will be later that day at 16:00, then you will probably cause more harm than catching a fish at 69 degrees at 16:00 hours on a day where the prior 24 hours ranged from mid-fities to the 69 degree peak.

At around 68 degrees, the trout will begin to feel some physiological pressure from water temperature. If it is moving water with riffles periodically, at that temperature, it will still hold plenty of dissolved oxygen as well. You just have to use your judgment, which in the case of reckless anglers like myself, may occasionally be effected by how far I have driven and whether I have other coldwater alternatives to divert to.

I am not interested in catching sluggish trout anyhow.

Water temps under 70 is Ok to fish for trout unless the peak temperatures preceding your fishing, or expected following your fishing are likely to rise into the mid-70s and stay up that high for several hours. A stressed trout may have a hard time recovering under those circumstances.

gfen wrote:
i notice you get the linking right when its all about your self-righteousness. you are a jerkstore!

Meh, I figured if I were to lecture people on researching maybe I should do some myself! Best I can figure, it involved the right click copy link location. Used to not have to do that.

That thread is funny though. It's about keeping feesh out for photo ops and over playing them, particularly in warm temps. Also multiple Tully mentions. LOL. Everything new is worth one in the bush.

jack,

I never considered the temps before and after time of catching.

very insightful reply, thank you

It's a theory.

gfen wrote:
If the water temperature is above the comfort range for the fish you're seeking, its inappropriate.

If the water is cold in the morning, but rises to near lethal or lethal temps in the day, its inappropriate.

If the main stem of the water is too hot, and the fish seek refuge in the place where a cold trib flows in, its inappropriate.

One way will certainly kill them via stress from enviroment and then being hooked and played, no matter how gentle you try to be. The other way is not only potentially more lethal, but its unsporting. THey're all stacked up there because if they chose to go elsewhere, they die.
I agree 100%. VERY good response!

Back