Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

What to use?

From Carlisle PA
So what does everyone use this time of year?? As long as the temps don't drop too much I'm still in the fishing mood.

Steve

Posted on: 12/21 19:24

Re: What to use?

From Burke VA
Midges and san juans.

Posted on: 12/21 22:55

Quote:

ryansheehan wrote:
Midges and san juans.

Not bad advice. I did well this week with small soft hackles.

Posted on: 12/22 2:06

From SEPA
Good advice above. I go small, like like 20 zebra midges or brassies, Or I go large meals, like slowly worked buggers in olive and white. or a long SJ worm. Midges hatch all winter, and small BWO's in 18 to 20, and even though the fish may be less active, they will move a bit for a sure fire, big, high protein meal. I caught plenty of winter fish on Rapalas when I fished for the First Order (they kicked me out when they heard I was pinching the barbs and removing a set of treble hooks, so I am with the Resistance now).

Posted on: 12/22 4:31

From Pittsburgh
Stonefly nymphs are still active in the winter.

Posted on: 12/22 6:00

From Northern VA
Agree with stoneflies and midges, my #1 winter fly is probably the classic woolly bugger. Just fish it slowww.

Posted on: 12/22 8:28

From Fayettenam
Sucker Spawn - BWO the pic was taking during a BWO hatch in a snow storm. It was crazy

Attach file:

jpg  snowbwo.JPG (92.37 KB)
47_5a3d1dc834ae2.jpg 802X597 px

Posted on: 12/22 9:49

Quote:

Bruno wrote:
Sucker Spawn

+1

Posted on: 12/22 10:02

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
In spring creeks with a regulated water temp, you will find hatching flies along with nymphs being more active than a freestone. In freestones 99% of insects will borrow done in the substrate and winter over leaving the minnows as the main food source for trout all winter.

Posted on: 12/22 10:25

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

Heavily weighted Hare's Ear nymphs, size 12, work best for me. I've been lazy though and have fished only once since deer season and have played basketball (age 60 and over) instead.

Take the water temp. I usually can catch a few trout down to 35 degrees, which seems to be the shut-off temp for me.

Maybe I'll get motivated to go out over the weekend. My legs are rubbery from this morning's basketball, and I'm going to lie by the woodburner and read this afternoon -- and maybe tie a few flies.

Good luck.

Posted on: 12/22 12:44

From Southeast, PA
As previously suggested, midges, sucker spawn, eggs, san Juans, and BWO will work all winter.

I'm surprised nobody said anything about SCUDS or sowbugs!!! Don't forget about them!

Also buggers were mentioned but try some bigger streamers in white. I've done well working bigger streamers (3+ inches) in bright white during winter.

Posted on: 12/22 14:20

From Greensburg, PA
All good suggestions... I still do well with various sizes and colors of buggers. Mostly because I can use one fly and its a matter of figuring out which presentation will work as opposed to which fly. When its really cold I don't like tying on lots of flies.

However, one of my favorite and most productive winter patterns is a Peeking Caddis.

There are lots of more updated versions of this tie but this is the standard version I like to use.

Attach file:

jpg  peeking500.jpg (75.30 KB)
49_5a3d61d8e53bf.jpg 500X330 px

Posted on: 12/22 14:52

From Brickerville
Midges and buggers worked for me today. I fish generic nymphs year round with pretty good success. I find that in the winter I need to try a little harder to get into fish on freestone streams.

Posted on: 12/22 15:14

From Chester County
Since the OP is listed as being from Carlisle, scuds and cress bugs are a great suggestion. But so are eggs flies, sucker spawn, hares ears. stoneflies, pheasant tails and certainly zebra midges as well as a lot of other flies

I usually start with fishing small patterns in winter, but agree sometimes a bugger or even a stonefly will sometimes work best.

Given the variety of flies everyone is successful with, one can say with confidence that fishing one particular pattern is not the most important thing for catching winter trout.

In fact it is not likely at all to have the fish locked into a certain insect since there are no real hatches happening. You may see a midge hatch in winter, and later on in the coming months maybe some winter stones and possibly BWOs.

Most times in winter, the fish hang in slower/deeper water so fishing slow and deep in slower and deeper water is usually best.

Fish during the warmest part of the day. The exception is when there is snow and ice in or along the streams and a warmup actually causes a meltdown, which will actually make the warm temp drop.

Fish where the fish are....sounds stupid, but I know guys that fish stocked freestone streams in winter that haven't been stocked since April....not usually a high percentage bet. A better bet would be special reg fall stocked streams, or wild trout streams, especially spring creeks and tailwaters.

Good luck.

Posted on: 12/22 15:30

From Carlisle PA
Thanks for all the options. I'll give some of them a whirl!
Steve

Posted on: 12/22 20:01

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
Polls

Copyright 2018 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com