What flies do you use at night?

SNJChef

SNJChef

What flies do you use when trout fishing at night? Going to be more late night fishing this year what colors do you use? For salt at night we used dark colors when fishing the bridges, rocks and banks does the same work for trout? I have been told and used a mouse, is the the best choice?

I did a great deal of night fishing,with streamers for trout.I used mostly dark just because everyone said to but I really don't think color as important as its made out to be-at least for bottom covering.
Size of fly and way and where its fished the most critical I would say.
Its the vibrations the trout pick up with their lateral line that clue them in.Slow pumping motion through likely feeding areas will ring the dinner bell instead of fire alarm-even the wariest old moby won't be alerted something ain't right.
Slow skimming motion with surface tent like flies also worked well for me with not one whit of difference between lite or dark flies as far as I could see.
salt water-do a lot of plug fishing at night and usually use same light mullet color as day.
Others will have different opinions-that is the game-lol
forgot to mention
wooly buggers as good as any-flashabou types my favorite.
they seldom wrap their tails around hook bend which is the curse of night fly fishing.Matukas not bad-2s and 4s my favorites.

somewhere is a long thread about george harvey's pusher night fly. its in the tying forum. you should attempt to locate it, as that would be probably very helpful.

there's also a thread in the...uhm, tips and tricks folder that fishidiot and i discussed meece patterns. however, i don't remember what it was called, making this suggestion entirely useless. sorry.

edit: who's you pal? i am*.

[size=xx-small]
* - not really, but whatever, it read good.[/size]

Even a popper/deer hair bug on the top works good. Nice and slow... soon you will kinda daydream a bit cuz it's dark... then WHAM! Big fat brownie on the line (well, they all seem big and fat at night when your fishing). Good luck!! I LOVE night fishing!!! I'm surprised that I don't see a lot of night fishers on Spring Creek. Christ, with the amount of brownies in there... you know the BIG ones will be out at night.

A lot of misconceptions in general and within this thread about big fish feeding at night. Nonetheless, big fish can be taken at night using a variety of techniques, the best of which is chuckin big meat. Dark colors are best, however, we have banged some serious bruisers using brown patterns with white underbellies and all white streamers as well. Personally, I think the presentation is key - depending on the type of water sometimes floating/pushing patterns rule while in other water (broken water) regular old swimming baitfish patterns are the best bet. On big water there is no better way than to attack by boat.

Lots of fun! Good topic - tight lines.

All I can say is Night Vision Googles really help out!

Night vision eh? Does Cortland make a cheap Walmart set?

A lot of misconceptions in general and within this thread about big fish feeding at night
if you mean a misconception that they feed at night for safety reasons-I agree-
When they feed at night this time of year,its because that is when the water temperature is closest to ideal for them.
when they fed at high noon in January,its because that is when the water temperature is closest to ideal for them.
So yeah ,unless you are fishing below a cold water release dam from now until the water temp. drops into their comfort zone I would wager pre sun up better odds for the big one than late afternoon.

The turd fly tube:

Attachments

• 4-3-09 004.jpg
    4-3-09 004.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 2
Night Vision is our latest technique for catching Big Browns after dark. I'll be publishing a special report about it in the weeks to come!

the day i can buy a water resistant bi-optic NV unit for under $200, i'm on board.
no monoculars, no die-in-water, and no four column numbers need apply.

I can see night vision goggles if your bass boating along at 50 mph otherwise the charm of night fishing is its night..
The only time I ever used a light was changing flies,otherwise being one with nature was part of the appeal.TETO

Back