What Did You Get At Somerset?

MKern

MKern

The title says it all!

I personally didn't get anything; it's just not my atmoshere to buy things -- I feel too rushed. However, I attend for the atmosphere.

A paperback book about saltwater baits and their imitations as well as a few minor fly tying materials. The show seemed pretty crowded and the rumor was that business was better than expected. I watched a couple seminars, one excellent, the other disappointing.

I got a couple Whiting saddles, a reel, a Fly Max DVD and some miscellaneous tying materials

I got a Bealuh 6/7 switch rod after casting 3 different switch rods.
And taking a two handed casting class from Nick Curcione of TFO . I can't wait untill the the water warms up a little bit so I can play with my new toy :-D

First time ever at one of these shows. I got a new fly line to replace one of my worn ones, some of "Rob's Realistic" flies (they're just cool), minor fly tying materials, and some new tippet. Oh yeah, and Humphrey's newest video.

Saw some of the shows, both Humphrey's evolution of an angler and his casting demo were superb. Most of the professional casters that did demo's were pretty cool. The other talks I attended I found somewhat disappointing. Got to look at pictures of and price fishing destinations I'll never go to, watch some tyers I'll never match, meet some celebrities I'll never be as good at, and cast some rods I'll never buy. When people test cast a rod, why do they always try to cast such distances? I'm more interested in what a rod does at the distance your going to fish it than finding the "edge" of its range. I musta looked pretty silly trying out 6-7 foot brookie rods at 10-15 feet with the guy beside me with aiming for the end of the pool with as many "hauls" as he could find a way to fit in. Anyway, it was worth the drive.

I've been looking at that rod for awile. Please give a report after you fish with it.
What kind of line did you match up with it?
CRB

Simms Freestone Boots - Vibram Sole - $90 bucks, and they fit! Going feltless, hope it helps.

Also got some more wire, tying up a bunch of Copper Johns, they look cool, but I don't recall using one in a long time.

Oh yeah, dropped off the deposit for my annual junket to Hancock.

I saw a ton of guys walking around new simms boots -- must have been a hot ticket.

I looked at some of the old books and was tempted, but didn't buy anything.

I did come really close on on the inflatable pontoons in the back near the casting area. 50% off and onle $125 -- not bad, but probably wouldn't have went over great with the wife because I've been putting off getting kayaks with her for a couple years.

I've been putting off getting kayaks with her for a couple years.

I just picked up a Kayak today. Don't want to hijack this post, but will make a separate thread with some photos shortly. It is sitting in the snow right now!

The Simms boots were going pretty hot, and for some reason they gave me 20% off when I asked for a show price. That surprised me, but I was happy to have asked. I could not get a penny off on a vise three years ago.

I think you were probably more likely to get discounts from the companies more so than the shops. They will make more money becuase they aren't selling it to a shop for 60% first, and it's going direct to you at 80%.

Bought several saddles and necks. Charlie Collins had a large display of hackle where you could sort through for just what you wanted. Also picked up a couple books to add to the library. This winter has been a real "book reader" so far. Also some materials for streamers that I wanted to see before I bought.

I find it interesting that each year I have a different agenda. This year special tying materials and talking techniques with some of the featured tiers. Last year talking to guides and getting some destination ideas. The year before was interested in equipment and checked out a number of rods and reels.

I was there Friday and my take was that attendance was up.

I didn't make it to the show after all.

Did anyone learn anything new at the seminars?

Any good photo tips from Barry Beck's presentation?

Any good tips on Dynamic Nymphing?

George Daniels, "Dynamic Nymphing" was excellent, but a little short (30 min) I thought.

He talked mostly about dry dropper rigs. His best point for me was the weight of the nymphs must equal the boyancy of the dry. He does that by attaching shot to the intended dry. He keeps adding shot until the dry starts to change its position or sink. He then weighs the shot on a power scale to figure out what the nymphs need to weigh so the tippets it tight, but not tilting the dry.

Got some hackle from collins and a few other tying tidbits.

Was disappointed that they canceled the Upper De presentation and the Lehigh presentation at the last minute...:( - anyone know what was up with that?

Talked to a few company's there. they all want my buisness..didn't see many rods and reels going out the door in 2 days.. Nothing really excited me there except the paralox rods and one rod company...looks like I'm back in buisness with saber hooks again had a long talk with the owner will be ordering soon...they had problems with the wholsale end...Did buy a book from fishy....talked to dave rothrock, and he's coming up in a couple weeeks to hang out..

i got a few hackles from Charlie Collins. first time i ever met the guy. he was very helpful. i was there first thing on friday and had a heck of a selection. i could of bought more but didnt.
i attended a seminar by Jim Teeny about fishing great lake steelheads and brown trout. it was a good seminar. guy can catch a fish or two.
it was my first time ever down there and i had a good time. the guy i was supposed to go with back out at the last minute but i went anyway. i was a nice day for a 3 hour ride. ill go again in a heart beat.

TDB,

The upper De talk, the speaker got sick. Don't know if it was the same guy for the Lehigh presentation or not.

Did anyone else catch Humphrey's casting demo? To me, that was something else. Especially the "under the rod" trick.

And despite not "needing" one, I now have a severe want of a Sage Z-axis as well as a new boo rod.

sandfly wrote:
Talked to a few company's there. they all want my buisness..didn't see many rods and reels going out the door in 2 days.. Nothing really excited me there except the paralox rods and one rod company...looks like I'm back in buisness with saber hooks again had a long talk with the owner will be ordering soon...they had problems with the wholsale end...Did buy a book from fishy....talked to dave rothrock, and he's coming up in a couple weeeks to hang out..

Let me know when you get those Saber hooks. I want to try them out.

Was disappointed that they canceled the Upper De presentation and the Lehigh presentation at the last minute...:( - anyone know what was up with that?

TBD

Not sure about the Upper D shows, but I did the Lehigh on Saturday and Jake (VC reg) did it on Sunday. Joe DeMarkis did the presentation on Friday.

Sorry you missed it. It was SRO - out the doors in the hallway for both Lehigh presenations on Sat/Sun. I was floored at the interest level in the Lehigh and how it has grown. 2-3 yrs ago, I only had 20 people in the room. It was well over 3x that amount both days this weekend.

If anyone on here attended, thanks for coming to the presentation.

I am glad to hear that the attendance was good at the show. I used to work for a fly fishing place that had a booth there, but the last Somerset show I was at was four years ago. Most of the shops and outfitters I know are cautiously opimistic about the coming season.

Back