What's your favorite hatch to fish?

sight_nymph_17109

sight_nymph_17109

As we all know, just getting on the stream usually makes it a good day. With that said, if you could narrow it down to 3 or less times that you could be on the water, what would they be?

#1 March Brown hatch. In my experience, big bugs, daylight hatch, just enough bugs on the water to get the fish feeding with abandon.

#2 ISO's. I've had fish chase the fly 5-6' trying to get it while I'm picking it up off of the water.

#3 Sulphurs. Steady hatch were you can have fish eagerly take nymphs, emergers, duns and spinners as fast as you can get a drift over them.

I love terrestrials above all, so if you're asking hatches alone I would have to vote sulphers.

I just hit a grannom/hendrickson combo hatch. It was fun. The fish were rising all day, with the exception of noon to 2.

I would take that any day.

Second: early sulphurs. The fish are eating nymphs all day, then the hatch explodes and lasts until spinner fall. Also lots of fun.

Third: tricos then terrestrials.

Hendricksons
Large mayflies that come off during the afternoon. And a very user friendly spinner fall that happens around 5-6 pm.

BWO's and grannoms are a favorite also

I don't discriminate. I like to fish whatever they want to eat at the time:)

Hendricksons and Sulphurs would be my favorite mayfly hatches. Caddis are almost always fun too.

peace-tony c.

My favorite hatches

! March brown, love those big flies. Catch them on Clarks sometime, you'll have a ball!

2, sulphur

3. caddies

Like Dan, my favorite fishing is terrestrial fishing!

PaulG

for me, that cicada hatch a few years ago was awesome. 15 years and counting till the next one though. :roll:

for the yearly hatch, i like the green drake on Penns. if you hit it right, its pure chaos.

TRICO'S !!!!!

Small flies, light line and feeding frenzy fish.

I vote for Tricos. I love the challenge of small flies. I can usually fish them in tandem with an ant or beetle, so that adds terrestrials in the mix as well.

Sulphurs #2
all others an equal 3rd.

Tricos.

Predictable and the only difficult part is presentation IMO. Any variety of small dark flies will work. The hatch lasts *months* rather than a couple weeks or even days. Also, even though the better known streams get additional angling pressure during the trico hatch, you don't have the frenzy of weekend warriors like you do with sulphurs for example.

Kev

for me, that cicada hatch a few years ago was awesome. 15 years and counting till the next one though.

Anyone one who just started fly fishing that year and hit the cicada hatch is probably ruined for life...

Kev

I cannot discriminate, if there is a hatch and I am there it is my favorite.

Day time hatches are pretty cool.

Peanut bunker at the Jersey shore.

Hendricksons

caddis (tan and grannons)

sulphers :pint:

paolo worm - bahia honda bridge and seven mile bridge -may/june
a close second is early bwo - spring creek- march

cahill to the bone

sulphur

then I'll take a drake.

only dries i have yet to cover is tricos and cranes

Sulphurs are usually the most productive for me,so hence my favorite...

Back