What's the Real Number of Fly Anglers in the United States?

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
Interesting article about the state of the union for FFing in the US:

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/flytalk/whats-the-real-number-of-fly-anglers-in-the-united-states

interesting, from gear makers they get the number of 1-1.5 million fly fishers, not counting those who only fish once time a year or so.

not a lot of people in a 315 million population country. 1/2 of 1%.

As a gage I was curious about how many members TU has:

From their website-

About TU

Today TU is a national organization with more than 150,000 members organized into about 400 chapters from Maine to Montana to Alaska. This dedicated grassroots army is matched by a respected staff of lawyers, policy experts and scientists, who work out of more than 30 offices nationwide. These conservation professionals ensure that TU is at the forefront of fisheries restoration work at the local, state and national levels.

sounds like a good article to me.

Not specifically fly fishing, but the on-line sales of licenses allows much more information to be gleaned. Most people only get a license one out of 5 years and only about 10% get a license every year. Most people I fish with (people who fish a lot) find this unbelievable. However, us "fish heads" are an small part of the angling public and we don't always see the other side.

I had an internship with NJ Fish and Wildlife in 2015 interviewing anglers. Most people can't tell a brown trout from a rainbow trout. Also saw fly fishermen flock to special regs areas and many good fishing areas with few anglers. Did see a core of regular anglers, but a lot of anglers only fish the popular spots early in the season.

don't forget we retiree's don't need to pay up in many states--

k-bob wrote:
not a lot of people in a 315 million population country. 1/2 of 1%.

It''s more than you think though. Out of those 315mil you have to consider that young children prob won't be counted as fly fisherman, along with a sizable chunk of old folks who are no longer physically able to fish.

You are pretty much left with men between 18 and 75 years old being your fly fisherman in the US.

Finally, take away the people from urban areas or geographical areas that have no trout (or other popular fly rod fish). What you end up with is that in areas with opportunities to fish for trout, you have a lot more fly fisherman than you think. Trying to compare the number of fly fisherman with the total number of Americans really doesn't work since that .5% is not distributed evenly over the entire population. If it were, you would expect to have Penns all to yourself on most days and there wouldn't be parades of drift boats on the Madison for 5 months of the year.

A good analogy would be surfers. If you broke it down, very few people surf. But, go to the beach and you will see plenty of surfers.

Not so much in Iowa.

With all that said, I am convinced that the fly fishing demographic has changed significantly over the last 15-20 years. I see a lot more younger guys on the water, particularly the guys in their 20's and 30's. That age group is also contributing greatly to the current trends in the sport. 65 year old anglers are not driving the trends in euro nymphing, or switch rods, or streamer fishing.

Since I'm already on a rant, I'd also like to point out which company's have come up with the low-end 1.5 million fly fisherman figure according to the article. These are all high end manufacturers and I have to wonder if their figures are based on the number of anglers who are actually potential customers of theirs or a total number of actual fly anglers. There are a lot of anglers who are never going to purchase a Simms, Orvis, or Sage product, or at least not on a regular basis. There are just too many decent lower cost options. Also, some people are gear junkies and buy tons of new stuff every year, and others hardly ever buy anything new. They still have their same 9' 5wt from 1995 and they are fine with it.

Finally, I also think the last paragraph of the article is just babble. His bold prediction is pretty much "High end manufacturers are going to make more high end stuff, but also make mid priced stuff, and use specific stuff." Well no crap, they've been doing that FOR THE LAST DECADE OR MORE. Thanks Mr. Deeter for tricking me into reading an article that lead absolutely nowhere.

Nearly 10% of those TU Members are from PA. Which reminds me I have to renew my membership.

Years ago I became a life member of TU so I didn't have to worry about paying the dues. Glad I did. Well worth it.
Jerry Coviello

PS also the IFFF Life Member too.
Jerry

The percentage of trout fisherman who fly fish has been growing from 1970 when I started flyfishing right up to present, IMHO.

It's true that some flyfishers fish a lot, some only once in awhile, and many are in the broad range in between.

But that is true of all hobbies and leisure activities. Golf, skiing, whatever.

And includes all types of fishing, not just fly fishing.

Like some other posters, I'm not quite sure what the point of the article is supposed to be.

Is it just "market information" for flyfishing businesses? He did mention something about conservation in there too, but to what point, it wasn't clear.

I think the people in the FF equipment business have the best handle on numbers and trends. And by all accounts the numbers of FFers peaked in the mid 90s as the FF fad wore off. Most studies I've seen show the downward trend continuing.

It might be that the percentage of trout fishermen that FF is higher but I think the percentage of overall people who fish for trout is down. I've looked at the PA fishing license trends over the years but I'm not sure what the trend has been for trout stamps. I'll have to check into that.

There is also the question of someone who has FFed and people who are active FFers. Is someone who FFed a few times during the movie boom and put the rods away since still considered a FFer? Or do we use license sales and trout stamp sales as the primary gauge?

Part of the article mentions some higher end FF equipment mfg cos expanding their markets. They tend to get hammered during recessions and are looking for stability.

Looked over the PA license sales history. Overall license sales have dropped by 28% since the peak in 1995. Also the percentage of those buying trout stamps has dropped from 71% to 56% of those buying a fishing license during the same time frame.

There was an interesting drop in trout stamps in 2005 that was much greater than the drop in fishing licenses. Both had significantly more drop off that year than the average rate of drop. Was there a large license increase that year?

The title:

What's the Real Number of Fly Anglers in the United States?"

I read this as "What's the Real Number of flies [an angler needs] in the United States?

And I say one, but it has to be an Adams.

Trend, the average age of the US population is increasing.

The young ones would rather go hunting for opposing gang members in the cities.

2005 was the first year of the Erie permit and the combined trout/salmon - Erie permit. The drop in trout/salmon permits purchased that year probably resulted from sales of the new combination permit.

2005 also saw a significant increase in the price of fishing licenses and trout/salmon permits.

How does this effect me as an fly fishermen angler?...It doe'nt, I will keep on Fly fishing as always.

How does the change in purchasing multyear license fit into the equation?

The defination of what is consider a flyfishing angler is not really solid. I think for most part the numbers are a guesstamit.
It is kinda like the owl that shows how many licks it takes to get to the tootsie-roll center. 1-2-3 crunch "The World will never know"!

First I don't know where YouTube gets their numbers but after looking at my Vlog stats:
I had 13,000 visits

30% were ages 45 to 55 years old
20% were ages 20 to 30 years old

Just an observation
Jerry Coviello

Back