What's Up With The Nittany Lions TV Schedule?

littlejuniata

littlejuniata

I hear there will not be many games available?? If so it is time to bombard the school with emails, anyone have a link??

Is that because there is now a Big Ten network?

acristickid wrote:
Is that because there is now a Big Ten network?

It's "pay to play" for football spectators.

Why is it that college players cannot accept a nickel (which I agree with) but the schools can pimp them out to the highest bidder?

Here's some of the facts...

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. -- The kick times for Penn State's first three contests during its blockbuster 2007 home football schedule are set, with the Nittany Lions making two appearances on the Big Ten Network, which will launch in August.

Penn State will be featured on the Big Ten Network on September 1, when the Nittany Lions host Florida International for their 121st season opener. The first meeting between the schools will kick at 12:00 p.m. ET in Beaver Stadium as part of the Network's opening day of Big Ten Football telecasts.

The Nittany Lions also will appear on the Big Ten Network on Sept. 15, hosting Buffalo at 12:00 p.m. The schools will be meeting for the first time since 1900 and just the second time overall.

Penn State also will make at least one appearance on the Big Ten Network during the eight-game conference schedule. Every Big Ten football team will make at least two appearances on the Network each season. The Big Ten Network will air more than 35 football games each year, with 18 contests already announced for the 2007 season.

All games produced by the Big Ten Network will be available to cable and satellite operators nationwide as part of their agreements to carry the network. Whenever the Big Ten Network is producing more than one game airing at the same time, the network will split the feeds regionally among cable operators to allow Big Ten fans to watch the game with the most regional interest. In addition, cable and satellite providers that have agreed to carry the network will be offered the chance to carry the additional games via ¡°overflow¡± channels. The majority of the games airing on the Big Ten Network will be shown in high definition (HD).

The announcement of the FIU and Buffalo kick times brings the total of announced kick times and TV to five games, all at home, for the upcoming season.

* Penn State will host Notre Dame on Sept. 8, with ESPN airing the clash at 6:00 p.m. in Beaver Stadium.
* The Nittany Lions' 88th Homecoming game, against Wisconsin on Oct. 13, will kick at 3:30 p.m. ET and air on ABC.
* The Oct. 27 border battle with Ohio State will kick at 8:00 p.m. and air on ABC, ESPN or ESPN2. A determination on which network will air the game may not be made until 12 days before the game.

The Nittany Lions have long been one of college football's premier programs for television networks. Every Nittany Lion game has been televised the past three seasons and 151 of the last 153 Penn State games overall have been on TV. Since 1995, Penn State has had 137 regular season telecasts, tops in the Big Ten.

Future Penn State contests may be selected by the networks under the six and 12-day provisions of their contracts with the Big Ten Conference.

I have heard that Big Ten TV will only be on Direct TV which just about no one has at least in our area, we have 40 Dish discs for every Direct dish. If they shut out the fans the fans will LEAVE!!
http://www.bigtennetwork.com/

I guess the almighty buck will screw up the loyal TV fans?? http://www.redorbit.com/news/technology/756128/mark_silverman_named_president_of_big_ten_network/index.html?source=r_technology

Lil J

Did you even read what I posted?

JF

Sure, looks like a money making scheme to me, the network wants to force other carriers to carry their games.

Unfortuantely, this is probably only the beginning of these special "networks". Notre Dame being the exception, they're in bed with NBC. They're great though if you live out of state and want to watch the teams you grew up with. I don't particuarly like it, but there are only two games by the looks of things that I'll miss this year. Neither of which are that big of a deal.

For jf and all. http://blog.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/2007/06/no_big_ten_network_for_you.html

There was an article about this in the pittsburgh post gazette, and of course it's all about money. According to this report, the local cable company, Comcast, would have to raise everyones' cable bill by over a dollar to add this network - some pretty big bucks involved.
And the real kicker - all of PennStates good games will still be on network TV. They reported that only 4 games will be missed if you don't get the big ten network - i believe Indiana and Iowa, and 2 early season patsy's
So, it looks like not many people in the pittsburgh area will be getting the big ten network

This is just the tip of the iceberg, The NFL will follow the Big 10's lead in a few years. You watch or should I say "You will pay to watch!"
JH

This is just the tip of the iceberg, The NFL will follow the Big 10's lead in a few years. You watch or should I say "You will pay to watch!"

Unfortunately, I think you're spot on with this statement. First the NFL and then the rest will follow. Also unfortunate is that people pay for these networks so there's a market for them. It's only going to get worse.

Big Ten Network wants to make 230 million PER YEAR from area subscribers

Here is a chance to make you're voice heard.

http://www.puttingfansfirst.com

Ron

Dear Ron,

I mean you no disrespect but that on-line petition won't amount to a hill of beans.

It's all about making money, they could care less about "Fans." All they want are the idiots that pay big bucks and then forget to watch the games because they are tied up in something else.

I still have a radio, and I use it.

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

Tim,
Ahh, the radio. Most have forgot that option. I too use it.
JH

No problem Tim. I'm semi plugged into what is going on with this situation. Just wanted to point people in direction where they could voice their concerns.

Ron

Back