Western MD - Savage River

P

pafisherman

I will be spending a weekend fishing western MD..The Savage River, North Potomac etc. in a couple weeks. Can anyone provide any helpful hints. I have never fished that area.
Thanks
Bill A

Bill,
You're in for a good time - western MD has some very good trout fishing. The NB Potomac is very big water and tough wading, I recommend a wading staff and felt soles. This river has a lot of large fish (including cutthroats) and receives stockings of large rainbows throughout the summer season. High stick nymphing would be your best bet and large streamers during low light conditions should get some action with big fish.
The Savage is smaller water more typical of a mountain freestoner, it is clear and low although levels can rise with water releases. Its fish are mostly wild browns although there are wild brookies too and some are large, up to 12". Small terrestrials should do well: cinnamon flying ants and smallish beetles. The Savage is also tricky wading.
Good luck.

Look at the stream reports section. Acristickid was just down there a handful of weeks ago.

I was there about a year ago. Here's a link to my report...
http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=2197&forum=8&post_id=18190#forumpost18190

If it rains have plenty of BWO patterns in your fly boxes ready to go. The Savage turns on and off like a light switch; be ready for any thing. One early October morning I fished over Trico's, olives, caddis and micro size #22 stone flys, all at the same time. The Savage is a blast. You're going to have a great time.

Gear:

Strong wading staff.

Studded boots, or spiked.

Rain jacket.

Polarized glasses.

Some sections you might want a seven foot rod, others an eight. Bring both if you want.

Theres also an Orvis fly shop on Savage river rd. You can't miss it.

Thanks guys... I am plenty excited. Looks like I am heading over to Bass Pro for a wading staff...
Thanks
Bill

Back