Welcoming Spring, "Southern" Style

sarce

sarce

It's been another cold winter, but I know I didn't have it as bad down here in VA as you guys did in PA. About three weeks ago, I took advantage of a brief warmup to explore a stream in Shenandoah National Park. I ended up doing pretty well, so naturally I started bugging my good friend and forum member "Lutz" to escape the PA icebox and come fish with me!

He didn't need much convincing, and last weekend (3/22) we were able to spend a whole day on a stream in the park. The chance to catch up and enjoy the warm sunny weather was already enough to make the weekend, but the fishing really put it over the top! We had to work for the fish in the morning and each nymphed up a few small brookies, but things really caught fire in the afternoon as the sun warmed the water.

Several hatches started occurring at once, the most impressive in terms of size were the few Quill Gordons but there were also little dark brown/black caddisflies in large numbers as well as little black and brown stoneflies. A #18 black foam ant worked as a great imitation for both of these small dark flies. By the end of the day the brookies were just destroying that fly. We each ended up bringing about 20 brookies to hand (my 21 to Lutz's 19, but who's counting? :cool: ). None were over 9" but there are few better ways to kick the winter blues to the curb!

I brought along the GoPro to capture some of the action (Best in HD):

If you haven't been to Shenandoah, go! As you can see, the "rivers" there are flat out gorgeous. It's up there with the prettiest places I've ever fished. Some of the rivers have significantly larger fish than we turned up in this one, but we picked this one to avoid the fishing pressure/hiking activity that the larger waters see. The terrain is pretty brutal, and it took us about 6 hrs to fish a mile of water- and this stream is not nearly as steep as some others in the park.

Highlight of the trip (should say, one of many) was looking at the footage with Lutz that night and noticing what looks like a river otter swimming right in front of us, right through the shot at the exact moment I hook a fish! Neither of us saw the animal at the time! After releasing that fish I didn't catch anything else in that pool, and now I know why.

Hope you guys enjoyed the video and the story.

Very "nice." Hehe.

Definitely my kind of fishing.

Looks like a nice stream, looks like you guys had fun.

Swattie, I need a new catch phrase. Lol

Thanks Jack, it was a blast!

Very cool. What was the water temp?

That otter reminds me of one night fishing outing I had. I kept hearing these big splashes in the pool I was fishing but kept missing the fish. Thought it must be a brute; ended up catching one that was 15" or so (not the brute I was expecting) and when I threw my headlamp on, I saw what was making the splashes - a rather decent sized beaver! I'm also pretty sure there's a muskrat that inhabits one pool I night fish on Spring too. And I saw either an otter or a humongous brown one night in the vicinity of FFP; honestly couldn't tell, as the water was a bit off color.

sarce wrote:
Swattie, I need a new catch phrase. Lol

Na, if they're biting, stick with what works!

Thanks RC!

Salmonoid, don't know the water temp. A lot of reading I did about the streams in the park said the brookies turn on when the water temp gets close to 40, so I'm thinking it was probably around 40 in the afternoon.

We were trying to decide if it was an otter or a beaver we saw...don't think a beaver can move that easily up through a riffle. I did see an otter last fall on the Rappahannock River which isn't too far away, so they're definitely in the general area. Cool stories about the beaver at night, I probably would've been a little freaked out myself.

Swattie, in one of my other videos I realized I said "There he is!" with every fish...I get one expression stuck in my head any given day on the water and it sticks until next time!

Awesome video. Streams down there look amazing.

Got a GoPro a few months ago, looking forward to using it.

With the sound of running water all day, I actually missed a lot of what sarce was saying. I also missed the big critter swimming right past me. Now I'm really wondering, in the hundreds of undocumented trips, what I could have missed.

Dare I say, Bigfoot???

But seriously, there must have been a couple great moments in third person perspective that I'll never know about.

Good report, and makes me think of summer! And a beautiful stream plus great camera work! Thanks for that.

For those wondering about the biggish critter, it's at 1:30 in the video.

Regarding what you say when you hook a fish, I had the sound turned off, sorry. But I always just laugh. It's more like a giggle. It could be my 50th fish of the day and I still just start laughing when they take.

It comes across as "look at this stupid fish!".

Great video. I have been thinking about going down there and now I have to--those are exactly my type of waters.

That's an otter, no doubt. Beaver swim totally differently and the tail is clearly an otter tail, not the flattened tail of a beaver. Great catch on the video.

I was out last week in Lancaster County and out of the corner of my eye saw something dark running my way on the opposite bank--it was a mink. Might have explained why the fish were not biting in the hole I was fishing.

Jeff

Awesome. Thanks for posting that.

I watched the video first and saw the otter. At first I thought it was a huge fish. Then I read your post and went back and watched that video full screen. Looks like an otter to me.

The video made my day.

Another good part was the sound of peepers at the end. God I miss that sound. Was snowing a little bit early this morning, but I'm hoping to hear them later this week. We are getting close. Saw earth worms on the wet sidewalk at work with temperature of 34. Those were the first I seen this year.

Supposed to be sunny and in the mid 40s tomorrow, then hit 70 Thursday with T-storms. Here it comes!

Hopefully it wasn't an early April Fool's joke.

Very good video, are you using a tripod for some of it, or just setting on something solid? The stream looks familiar. I just came back from Western VA. out near GW National Forest. Fishing was good but, it seemed like it was just the end of winter. For some reason there were a lot of rainbows in the streams out there, mostly wild. We didn't catch any browns but many rainbows, up to 24 inches. the brookies were in the 8 inch range.

Thanks for all of the positive feedback guys, I really appreciate it!

Brownie, glad to hear you got a GP, they're a lot of fun man. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions about how to work with the footage you get. It's actually pretty simple to do a video like this, but if you haven't before it's easy to unknowingly make it harder than it needs to be.

Lutz you forgot about the mountain lions.

pcray wrote:
Regarding what you say when you hook a fish, I had the sound turned off, sorry. But I always just laugh. It's more like a giggle. It could be my 50th fish of the day and I still just start laughing when they take.

It comes across as "look at this stupid fish!".

Ha, brookies often make me laugh. Can't help it.

Alnitak worte:
Great video. I have been thinking about going down there and now I have to--those are exactly my type of waters.

That's an otter, no doubt. Beaver swim totally differently and the tail is clearly an otter tail, not the flattened tail of a beaver. Great catch on the video.

I was out last week in Lancaster County and out of the corner of my eye saw something dark running my way on the opposite bank--it was a mink. Might have explained why the fish were not biting in the hole I was fishing.

Jeff

Our first thought was that the animal was a mink, but then we realized it was way too large to be a mink. I've seen several mink in PA, not yet sure if they're in VA. I was leaning toward beaver but Lutz was adamant it is an otter, and I eventually realized the same thing you did about how the tail moves. We found a video on youtube called "otter vs. beaver"...title makes you think it's some kind of huge fight between them but literally nothing happens. Pretty dramatic narration though. I'll post it if I can find it again.

FarmerDave - That was the first I'd heard the Peepers this year. Don't worry, spring can't be far off up there.

Chaz, no tripod, just put it on rocks for some shots. Mounted to head strap the rest of the time. I've heard good things about GW national forest, good to hear you did well there.

Chaz,

It was a mixture of steady hands, a head strap, and placing the camera on rocks. Luckily, the terrain and small stream size allowed for a lot of options and creativity.

The "otter" looked like a beaver to me.

Cool video, thanks for sharing guys. Can't wait to get down there this spring.

Back