We should all eat more trout

pete41

pete41

Specifically fisherman caught freshwater trout.
They are very healthy and good for us.
That's what they were advocating on Celebrity chef
a few minutes ago-I rushed right in to spread the good word.
I know,I know,that's not what we want to hear at Paff.However that was the message they were spreading.Doubt if many people saw it. :roll: :roll:

Once a year at most for me. I only keep 1 or 2 the first weekend of season for fish fry at fishing camp. We all keep 1 or 2 stockies and have a meal 1 night. It is delicious and I'd imagine very good for you but 364 days a year, I catch and release.

I guess if you are into mushy white slabs of mercury and PCB laden fish. Sure, crunch all you want, they'll make more.

This was not meant to be a serious post-just the idea of advocating that was a shock to someone that only kept two trout in 40 years.
One to mount
one to eat
and I still feel guilty-lol

I guess we were fooled by your regularly intelligible, common sense posts, petey. :roll:

We keep our limits on opening day. Then we have a large family cookout where we smoke the trout after we stuff them with crab meat. Very delicious. Catch and release is great, but it's always an awesome feeling to eat something you caught, or took hunting.

tomgamber wrote:
I guess if you are into mushy white slabs

You're doing it wrong, sad part is that it isn't hard to do right. If they're mushy the water was most likely too warm.

tomgamber wrote:
I guess if you are into mushy white slabs

Somebody needs a HUG!

Studies have shown that hatchery and farm raised trout have more mercury and PCB's in them than wild fish. Personally I think we should eat more fish, a couple a year that we catch it may lead to bigger fish in our streams.

Or just keep a couple but keep them alive... Then go liveline them in the Delaware for stripers

Damn straight. I remember a few years back in April the stripers ran all the way to the junction pool, eating herring, then eating rainbows. Big rainbow streamers, like 4/0.

I have a buddy that keeps small stocked bows and trolls with them on Beltzville for strippers. Absolutly the best bait for them on the lake.

SurfCowboyXX wrote:
Damn straight. I remember a few years back in April the stripers ran all the way to the junction pool, eating herring, then eating rainbows. Big rainbow streamers, like 4/0.

I saw an absolute monster striper in the junction pool this year.

Never heard of using trout for strippers. Sounds fun though.

tomgamber wrote:
I guess we were fooled by your regularly intelligible, common sense posts, petey. :roll:

I literally lol'd. Then again my posts are typically as nutty.

The Raystown Lake striper guys have been using live trout for bait for years. You can buy (or at least you used to be able to) live trout in the 7" range in the bait shops around Raystown. As long as you held on to the purchase receipt you could have the little trout in possession and not run afoul of length and bag limits. And it's not just stripers that eat 'em. I once saw a huge smallmouth in the 4-5 lb class landed in Raystown that swallowed a live trout about 7 or 8" long.

Breeze717 wrote:
Never heard of using trout for strippers. Sounds fun though.

Palominos are awesome for trolling strippers. Send email for proof.

Fishidiot wrote:
The Raystown Lake striper guys have been using live trout for bait for years. You can buy (or at least you used to be able to) live trout in the 7" range

My brother use to take a trip to Raystown every Summer with his family. When he told me they used 7 inches brookies for bait, I laughed so hard I cried.

Jack,

The catfish guys on the Mon River use trout also. Bluegills are their favorite with stockies a close second.

JH

I bet for catfish, the heads would be sufficient. Next Big Spring brookie over 14 goes in the pan, minus the head.

Back