Warmwater Fishing

flyfishermanj

flyfishermanj

With the dog days of summer arriving, I was wondering what is your favorite warmwater species to fish for?

JH

was just at my aunts farm sunday...farm pond bluegills...

Smallies with Carp right on thier tail :lol:

Smallies an bucketmouth for me.

I love bluegills but I usually get them when I'm trying to get bass and I find it annoying sometimes.

Carp rule, but I like bass more.

It's a tough call for me. Carp would have been the obvious choice, but the first time I took out the first rod I built I went fishing for sunnies at a local farm pond. It was my 2/3WT and I was hammering them. I had one half way into shore and WHAM!, it got crushed by a biggie about 20" long. It was all over after that! I've spent at least a few trips every summer for LMB, and have found some pretty rockin' spots. Hell I think I'm gonna leave in a few minutes for one of them now that I think about it. :-D

Boyer

Here is a link to a nice website devoted to warmwater fly fishing . One of the writers on the website is Mary Kuss she is the most knowledgeable fisherperson that I know . I also got my fly fishing lessons from her. So check it out :cool:

http://www.warmwaterflyfisher.com/homepage2.htm

MattBoyer wrote:
It's a tough call for me. Carp would have been the obvious choice, but the first time I took out the first rod I built I went fishing for sunnies at a local farm pond. It was my 2/3WT and I was hammering them. I had one half way into shore and WHAM!, it got crushed by a biggie about 20" long. It was all over after that! I've spent at least a few trips every summer for LMB, and have found some pretty rockin' spots. Hell I think I'm gonna leave in a few minutes for one of them now that I think about it. :-D

Boyer

Elyers Flyshop in Bryn Mawr carries a fly the owner ties up. It's a stacked deer hair tye of a young of the year sunnie. Maybe you should get one!

Padraic,
Alas, Eyler's isn't there anymore. They retired to Montana last year. There's a TCO (Tuplehockon Creek Outfitters) there now. Good shop but not Eyler's.

For me, once it hits June 25, I'm looking for smallies. Actually, I'd like to fish for bluegills in a pond but have concentrated on moving water for so long I wouldn't know where. Anybody know of any open bluegill water in a one hour driving radius of Philadelphia?
Coughlin

The Wissahickon has lots of sunnies, but they're little.

The ponds at FDR by the sports complex should have them. I know there are bass in there.

The ponds at FDR by the sports complex should have them. I know there are bass in there

And Snakeheads !!!!!!!!!!!

Gotta love the feel of a big smallie on the fly!

Ian_Brown,
Yes, I fish the Whissahickon often, and yes, the sunnies are small. :)

As for FDR...I was thinking of something a bit more rustic.
Coughlin

I fish for largemouth and gills about twice weekly at a local pond.

Anything with fins !!! even fall fish and chubs(bigones)...as long as it swims .... :-D

somtimes snakes... :-D

It depends. I like fishing for all of the above, and you can add channel catfish to the list since you didn't specifically say fly fishing.

If I plan on eating the catch, I'd have to say panfish and channel catfish. For just the fun of catching, I'd have to go with smallmouth, although largemouth are also a lot of fun on the flyrod, too. I love the way they explode on the surface.

my favorite warm water fish is trout....lol er i mean smallmouth. seems most feel the same!

Coughlin said:I'd like to fish for bluegills in a pond but have concentrated on moving water for so long I wouldn't know where. Anybody know of any open bluegill water in a one hour driving radius of Philadelphia?
Coughlin

Well, Coughlin, you're in luck. Try Marsh Creek Lake (Marsh Creek State Park near Eagle, Pa - Rt 100) or Chambers Lake in Chester Co's Hibernia Park (near Wagontown ) for bluegills. OR, for an even better battle IMO from redbreast sunfish hit the Delaware River in any somewhat sluggish pool with a rocky shoreline or large rocks off shore, or the Schuylkill in similar habitats, or many of the streams in Delaware Co. (at the head of tide or for a few miles above). Oh yes, those sycamore trees with the masses of roots dangling in the water, don't forget to fish in those holes for redbreasts. You'll usually pick up some smallmouths as well in waters where the redbreasts call home.

I'm partial to smallies cuz they're so abundant in streams and rivers (they're also so much more elegant looking than a largemouth). However, were I to ever snag a muskie on the fly, the sheer joy of bringing in that "fish of a thousand casts" would make it my instant favorite.

I have been doing a lot of largemouth fishing lately in Chambers (chester county) Lake and I'm liking the brutality with which the ole bucketmouths hit a surface fly! -- Ounce for ounce, however, a bronzeback is a superior scrapper! :-D

Smallmouth bass for this guy. They live in beautiful water just like a trout, and so abundant and will smack a woolybugger with gusto.
I love trout fishing with a long rod, but way too many people fishing and the streams almost dry up in summer and the stocked trout are quickly caught by all the corn and cheese fishin' guys.
Global Warming is here now, and every educated person knows that every fish species in the world is in decline....... but only a few years ago the Susquehanna gave me so many near 100 days with my fly rod. That is as good as fishing gets, almost as good as Alaska! But things have gone downhill with all the fishing in the world. Too much pollution and too many people........ the world is changing.
In PA we used to get rain every week or two and the river would stay around 5'. Now we get floods every spring with polluted run off and every summer is so hot and shallow with all the nitrates in the water it is really hard for the bass to survive. The smallmouth bass are 5% of what they used to be....... but I'm not a complainer, I still have fun in the river with my fly rod.
I wish I had a time machine.

Back