Virginia Drivers Beware (Fly Fishers Too)

littlejuniata

littlejuniata

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Insurance/Advice/VirginiasNewSpeedingTicket.aspx

"One twist that has Virginia drivers enraged is that the state can't charge fees on out-of-state drivers or revoke their licenses. For now, the fees apply only to residents."

OUCH!!!!!! Wouldn't that be considered cruel and unusual punishment????

It's about time we got those repeat offenders off the roads. High speed accidents are increasing in PA especially in the more populous areas.

I'm Sorry. I imagine that will be repealed within a year. Thats got to be pretty unpopular with the people of VA. Fredrick is correct that is cruel and unusual punmishment.

OK say I get pulled over doing 75 in a 55. We all have done it!! So I get a $2500 fine, 3 years of tax @ $350 a pop, AND could go to the joint for a year. If that happened to me I would lose my job, my house and possibly my family. That is an unjust law.

Between taxes fines and lost wages you are looking at over 50K for the average person. For a speeding ticket!

Now before you criticize me or this argument lets look at the DUI laws. I have shared a frosty beverage with many of you after a day of fishing. Are you putting anybody at risk? No. Are you breaking the law? Yes. If a cop spotted you, well you COULD get arrested. You could pay thousands and go to jail and have to go to classes with real criminals for years.

All of these laws look good until you are the poor SOB that gets caught in the dragnet.

Unjust laws are not unconstitutional. They should be, but they aren't. When the revolution comes, I just hope it is non-violent. In my opinion, those are the best kinds. :-o

Jack are you yanking my strike indicator?

OK so I went a little over the top but come on. Thats nuts. It would be devastating if that happened to me. Yah so the point is don't speed but Mike Vick will not put a year in jail. It just does not seem right and I think that the people from VA will demand that it gets stricken from the books.

Not yanking your bobber or anything else. I am not saying unjust laws are good, just that we "ultraliberals" (that's a new term I'm learning which I think, on the lips of a neocon means "anyone that I can't beat in a rational debate") lost the battle of "substantive due process" which would have required that laws be sensible before they could actually be enforced. As I said, I hope the revolution is peaceful.

PS, I think I'm going to get in trouble for this post.

I'm with Ryan on this. Some of these "fees" seem disproportionate to the crime. I also thought it was a stretch here in PA when they said you can't get a junior driving lisence if you are caught underage drinking (with no motor vehicle involved). Seems like a disconect between the punishment and the crime.

albatross wrote: you can't get a junior driving lisence if you are caught underage drinking (with no motor vehicle involved). Seems like a disconect between the punishment and the crime.

Is a junior drivers licenses till you 18 or 21. I think it should be 6 months the day you get your licenses. I few of my friends got busted when they where 15 and right before 16 and they had no punishment becasue of how it worked. Im not saying that suspend it that long but i think there should be some punishmen.

Anyone ever driven on the Beltway? It's almost IMPOSSIBLE to do the speed limit there without being run over. This is positively absurd. The average, hard working, middle income, tax paying American is the one who will again take it in the keister.

That's crazy!!! I don't know what kind of taxes Virginia residents pay, but those fees are absurd! Hopefully our Gov. Slick Eddie Soprano doesn't see that, last thing we Pa residents need. A speeding ticket to that fishing hole would require an 2nd job. :-o
JH

Back