Trout Strikes Back!!

T

TroutBuster

Out fishing Thorn Creek today.... a guy the hole below me had just had his stringer of trout pulled in!! Haha, said he though they were pretty much dead when he put them on it. Here were two trout pulling the stringer around the hole. Just a reminder to stake those things down well!!

Better yet, thump 'em dead. For all the the talk about those poor fish that goes on I'd think putting them out of their misery would be preferable to suffocating with a large object stuck inside their gills. But yeah, that's funny when that happens.

Had that happen to me surf fishing-A really nice stringer of Pomano-and the tide came up-away they went with me trying to catch them-would have made an amusing film but wasn't funny losing a half dozen of what many consider the top table fish.

I've seen more than a few chinook swimming around with rope in their mouths, which is always amusing. I'll never forget the time we were wade fishing redfish in Tampa. I started talking about grilling one to my buddy, a resident, and he said, "how ya gonna get it back to the car?" It started to become clear as I answered him that I hadn't thought it through very well. "Well I'll just tie it to my bait bucket rope". His reply was classic: "Soo, you gonna walk around waist deep in saltwater with a bloody fish tied around your waist?" I waited until the next day when we had the boat out to keep any.

Boyer

I use a creel. One of those canvas ones that you wet down to keep the fish cool.Putting fish on a stringer is red necky imo.I've seen to many fish on stringers get lost I use a big cooler in the boat.
Pete, send me some of those pomps, my all time favorite on a plate.I don't catch that many and refuse to pay for them when I eat out. Matt there are more sharks in Tampa Bay than you would ever want to run into. It's a nursery area for most fish species and the sharks take advantage of easy meals.Ft. DeSoto park and the Sky Way are notorious for big sharks

gulfgreyhound wrote:
Matt there are more sharks in Tampa Bay than you would ever want to run into. It's a nursery area for most fish species and the sharks take advantage of easy meals.Ft. DeSoto park and the Sky Way are notorious for big sharks

About 10 years ago or more a guy was killed by a bull shark in Boca Ciega by the Don Cesar. They surveyed the bay by air and said that they couldn't easily see any large bull sharks (it's a shallow bay at low tide), but they did see a school of a dozen or so hammerheads. We had been fishing there a week before the attack at night and saw a series of wakes, which we thought were schools of reds coming into the bay. Then my brother cast a shrimp towards them and one turned, and you could clearly see that the wake was made by a single large fish, not a school of smaller ones. We got the heck out of the water fast and were petrified a week later when we found out what we were fishing with. The redfish comment from my buddy was the first time I returned there since then and shortly before my brother got caught in a current and almost drowned. I don't think I'll be fishing Boca Ciega anytime soon.

Boyer

When I was about 13 we stayed with friends just across a small lagoon from the Don Cesar. You could see it right off the front steps. Was probably only a couple hundred yards away. But I thought we were down in st pete...

Either way the kids we were staying with, and I swam out from sand bar to sand bar to sand bar...On one of them I looked back into the slough and saw sharks...glad they weren't hungry. Those kids said they saw them all the time.

Yeah-but we are the shark bite capital of the world-DAYTONA BEACH,FL.
for some silly reason the chamber of commerce tries to play that down-
something bumped my kayak at 5:30 this am.Usually the sharks[bigger ones] don't come up this far.Near the mouth they often bump kayaks because of paddles splashing-

tomgamber wrote:
When I was about 13 we stayed with friends just across a small lagoon from the Don Cesar. You could see it right off the front steps. Was probably only a couple hundred yards away. But I thought we were down in st pete...

Either way the kids we were staying with, and I swam out from sand bar to sand bar to sand bar...On one of them I looked back into the slough and saw sharks...glad they weren't hungry. Those kids said they saw them all the time.

That small lagoon is Boca Ciega. We park by the toll booth and wade out from the Don side of the bay. From what I understand the guy who died lived on the side of the bay you were on and was swimming from his dock at night.

Boyer

I roped a chinook for the smoker and lost it last year. The same fish ate the next day and I got it back.

Had a friend who was fishing somewhere in northern Maryland have a blue heron fly off with a stringer that had a few on it.

When I was about 13, was fishing a nice spot with hand sized blue gill in Raccoon state park. Let's just say it's not called that for nothing. Had 6 or 7 nice fish on a stringer, and a coon came out of the woods in broad day light, pulled the stringer out of the ground, and started to run off. I was sitting on a milk crate, and my friend picked it up and threw it at the coon... direct hit! He ran off and I got my fish back. lol

In refrence to the original post... once had a trout hooked... he spat the fly, and it sprung back and hit me right between the eyes... luckily I was wearing sun glasses. Hit myself between the eyes once on a cast with a split shot too... sure woke me up to concentrate on my cast again.

There was a shark attack yesterday along the FL east coast (Jupiter area). Probably a surfer and almost certainly a bull shark. They think he may lose some toes but otherwise he should be okay.

Pete,
Didn't know you were a "yakker." FL is a wonderful place to paddle. I've seen some bulls and lemons up close that were well over half the length of my 15' kayak. Doubt I'd care to see some of the hammers in the Keys that grow longer than that while I'm paddling!

Back