Trout Holes But No Trout?

Hook_Jaw

Hook_Jaw

I have recently over the last 3 months not been catching trout in holes that I have always caught alot of trout in. I never keep a trout so and I never really see signs of people being in there never alot of boot tracks, trash, line, beer cans lol etc. I have yet to catch trout in 3 holes that were my best since this time have moved on to new water on the stream with good sucess. Last week I went back after 1 1/2 not fishing these holes and caught nothing once again. One thing that i noticed was alot of mink, herons, hawks, cranes in all these areas but usually see them all over what do you think it could be maybe just not getting them cannot believe this not even a small one used to take 3-4 out of each every time and they are good pocket water holes deep and fast. Just curious I talked with a couple guides and fly shop owners about it they all say different things just curious if you have these things happen.

HJ,
It's tough to say but there could, of course, be multiple explanations just as the fly shop folks suggested. Is this stream, (or streams) populated with wild trout or hatchery? If it's the latter, than fluctuations in fish populations are usually easier to explain as stocked streams often show wild swings in fish populations due to where the fish were stocked and the inevitable fishing pressure. If it's a stream with more stable fish populations - and you're catching trout in other sections of the stream - I'd rule out a population crash/fish kill, but with the low water levels experienced in much of the state these days there could be an oxygen issue. Since you describe these as "holes" I'm assuming there is some depth which likely rules out avian predators. If these are shallow pools than bets are off as I've seen herons clean out shallow pools. Some of the deeper holes may have a single very large trout that has taken up residence and is eating or driving off smaller fish. Finally, there may also be a subtle structural change in the hole that may not be apparent to the eye that effects the current and the spot is no longer ideal for trout holding there.

Fish tend to move around looking for the optimal holding area (food, cover, sunlight, temperature, oxygen, flow, etc.), especially in freestone streams. Freestone streams are dynamic ecosystems that operate at seasonal (and also daily) extremes based on ambient conditions. Therefore, what is the optimal holding water in the spring might not be the optimal holding water in the summer, which might not be the optimum holding water in the fall, etc. Simply put, as conditions in the stream fluctuate, the fish simply seek the most optimal holding water.

Even in limestones, which are not tremendously affected by ambient conditions, the fish will move around and where you find fish today you might not find them tomorrow.

What you are experiencing is nothing that all of us haven’t experienced

I completely agree with fishidiot.

Especially if it is a wild trout stream and it is deep. There probably is 1 large fish patrolling a few holes, booting out all other fish.

Good luck catching him during the day -- I've been to places like this and have had no luck. Dusk might be the only option.

I have even fished at dawn and dusk also fished it when it was high and colored up a lillte bit thinking streamers would get them no luck. Finally gave up waited over a month still the same. This is a wild trophey trout stream. I do know people in this area that take fish from it I gues sthat could always be some of it i guess. When I was fishing in this stream last week a older fella was fishing minnies was saying he would be after them in the trib. streams which i feel is bs and unsportsman like.

Its hard to take what you've seen this last time into consideration. The spawn is the spawn, stocked or not and they act very little like normal.

they either moved or they are dead.

Seems odd that they would of moved interesting the point of the structure changing under the water never gav ethat alo of thought seems like this stream is changing sometrees in the water and such no dobt makes a big difference the more I have fished it the more I find myself going to new places instead of old ones I used to fish. hopefully we will get some rain I hear it maybe coming tonite thru saturday we need it bad.

Back