Trashing a stream

scottrum

scottrum

Last night my son and I fished a section of the Yellow Breeches where there are a lot of tubers and Kayakers. I have a Kayak mostly for the river but occasionally use it on the Breeches. Now that the water is getting a little clearer and lower there is nothing more that pisses me off than retrieving five beer cans and bottles off the bottom of a stream. People today have no respect for God's beauty and our great waterways of PA

I drove by a river access area the other day and there was 3 empty boxes for tubes and inflatable rafts just laying in the parking lot. I guess they couldn't be bothered to put them back in their shuttle vehicle.

And people wonder why landowners post their property...

I fished a section of the YB about 6 weeks ago- a put-and-take section. I was amazed at the trash! I picked up an empty 1.75 liter vodka bottle and some plastic bubble wrap for spinners. Not only do people trash it but "their kind" don't see it fit to clean up after others.

Me, me, me, the heck with you.

Never could figure that out.

Slobs can carry stuff in full but can't carry it out empty.

I don't get that in any way, shape or form.

Unless I go to a more remote stream, I almost always come back home with at least one piece of trash in my pack (usually more)

I also don't understand why they can carry it in full and not be able to take it out empty....

There are annual cleanups on many streams, most of which are in the spring, usually in April.

These annual cleanups make a very big difference.

I agree these cleanups are significant, but they would mostly be unnecessary if people didn't litter, or conscientious anglers took a little extra trash out each trip. The folks participating in the cleanups are not the ones making the mess.

Yep had my land open for fishing two years and found nothing but trash all over it. Posted it and now no trash....

Ron

I don't think it's fair to single out kayakers and tubers when there are plenty of empty bait containers, hook packages, and even leader packages along the banks of many PA rivers. In fact, I would say the anglers in my area litter more than people in tubes/kayaks/canoes.

I really wish WCO's would catch more litterers and judges would sentence them to community service cleaning up our waterways.

Nothing worse than drunkin slobs.

The vast majority of the trash along streams, probably 90% of it, comes from neither anglers or boaters.

Is there an annual cleanup on the Yellow Breeches?

Just today I picked up 4 rolls of carpet off my property that some slob left for me.Wish I knew where it came from so I could give it back!!

troutbert give them a lecture on if they disposed of the trash since they saw it and are complaining about it. Ask them if they will for now on carry a huge hefty bag with them and join the local TU chapter and coordinate stream clean ups.

I've learned to except that there will always be slobs. The only thing you can do is clean up after them.

scottrum wrote:
... People today have no respect for God's beauty and our great waterways of PA

It's not just today. Been going on forever. It's just that there are more people now, which means more people that suck.

FarmerDave wrote:
scottrum wrote:

It's not just today. Been going on forever.

Yep. I think the littering rate is probably down somewhat from what it used to be.

It's still atrocious now, but I think it was worse in the 1960s and 1970s then now.

FarmerDave wrote:
scottrum wrote:

It's not just today. Been going on forever. It's just that there are more people now, which means more people that suck.

The recycle of cans and bottles helped,but bait containers and trash still line streams I've fished. Georgia is really bad for the trash .I take a bag along for cleanup. I wish more people would do the same.
Thanks to all of you that do.
SOME people suck.
GG

troutbert wrote:
FarmerDave wrote:
scottrum wrote:

It's not just today. Been going on forever.

Yep. I think the littering rate is probably down somewhat from what it used to be.

It's still atrocious now, but I think it was worse in the 1960s and 1970s then now.

Back