Total Eclipse of the trout?

• Thread starter salvelinusfontinalis
  • Start date
salvelinusfontinalis

salvelinusfontinalis

Do you think for the 3hours on Monday during the eclipse, that big browns might be fooled into coming out to play?

I wonder....
;-)

This is not a direct answer to the question but similar situation I think:
In lower Delaware there is a large bridge that spans the Inlet. That bridge is very brightly lite at night. Well... Scientist requested that the bridge lights be turned off at midnight now in order to allow the turtles to depend on the moon for their migration patterns. They felt the lighted bridge was effecting the turtle migration.

If you are in an area where there is just a partial, versus a total eclipse, I think there will be a brown out.

Aducker wrote:
This is not a direct answer to the question but similar situation I think:
In lower Delaware there is a large bridge that spans the Inlet. That bridge is very brightly lite at night. Well... Scientist requested that the bridge lights be turned off at midnight now in order to allow the turtles to depend on the moon for their migration patterns. They felt the lighted bridge was effecting the turtle migration.

I think I know the bridge you're referring to. There are a lot of other lights in that area, that I would think, could continue to contribute light pollution even if the bridge lights are cut off.

I assume the turtles are Diamondback Terrapins? That's the only turtles I've seen in the area. I've not seen loggerheads in the area, offshore yes, but not in the inlet or bay.

The eclipse occurs early afternoon here in SW PA, and lasts a couple hours. The darkest part will be a lot shorter. Not sure how dark it will get but the trout will surely notice and may start feeding on top if water is not too warm.

The big one for us will be April 8, 2024 when a total eclipse passes across the NW corner of the state. Unfortunately, many trout streams will be closed to fishing at the time.

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/map/2024-april-8

I think I remember reading that fish don't fully adjust to the loss of light until half an hour after full darkness sets in (and this typically applies to the diurnal change, but I suppose would apply to eclipses as well). Since we'll never see full darkness on Monday during the day, it is probably not worth taking the afternoon off to night fish :)

So how do trout adjust when a heavy thunder cloud passes over?

No idea. This post was made in jest.
I did find a small excerpt from back from pre 1910 that mentioned fishing getting hot in the west during an eclipse.
I have my doubts for sure.

I do see some articles asking for bass fisherman to report what the fishing is like during the eclipse.

I'm currently fishing the Loyalhanna and the temps dropped so much that the stream has completely frozen over. Hence, thats why Im bringing home a frozen box of "Mrs. Fields Fish".

That's my story and Im sticking to it.

http://www.weather.gov/satellite#vis

Check out the 24hour view. Sunset and sun rise from the right the eclipse from the left.

franklin wrote:
So how do trout adjust when a heavy thunder cloud passes over?

So one time we were fishing Yellow Crik in Bedford all amped up for the Green Drake Hatch. We experienced a steady hatch all day and at about 3:30PM a large thunderstorm moved in making the day turn to evening for about 45 minutes to 1hour. Right at the last 30 mins of darkness coffins began appearing and but the 45 minute timeframe it was heavy, as it cleared they went back to the trees and that night saw no significant coffin fly spinner fall. Weird because we though the they had tipped their hand as to how heavy it would be.

Truth!

LOL - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ9L-212D_w

Back